Our 79 Monte Carlo- Pro Touring Project

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Wow. I know the car I'm messing with is lower but a 9.5" width w/an effective 4.125" BS would seem to be flush w/the outer edge of the fender. Even @ slightly lower than stock height I would have thought that would be susceptible to damage on compression. Another g-body auto-x'er/tracker I know of w/a later MCSS is running 17x9.5's & he has 5.00" BS & about -.75 Camber.

I know your inner wells are removed for additional clearance. Did you trim away any of the inner sheet-metal structure the wheel-well attaches to as well? How mush static NEG camber do you guys have dialed in on that thing?

The plastic wheel wells are removed but nothing else. We could bolt them back in if necessary.

We have 2 deg neg static for autocross, not much street driving at the moment.

Our a-arms have the same "track width" as stock but are 3/4" forward to achieve the caster we need. The upper ball joint is located rearward also.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow. I know the car I'm messing with is lower but a 9.5" width w/an effective 4.125" BS would seem to be flush w/the outer edge of the fender. Even @ slightly lower than stock height I would have thought that would be susceptible to damage on compression. Another g-body auto-x'er/tracker I know of w/a later MCSS is running 17x9.5's & he has 5.00" BS & about -.75 Camber.

I know your inner wells are removed for additional clearance. Did you trim away any of the inner sheet-metal structure the wheel-well attaches to as well? How mush static NEG camber do you guys have dialed in on that thing?
I run 18x9.5 wheels all the way around with 5.25" backspacing. No rubbing on the front. You must use better than stock front suspension it they WILL rub. Most good aftermarket suspension systems move the balljoint locations and length to change the caster and camber curves.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I run 18x9.5 wheels all the way around with 5.25" backspacing. No rubbing on the front. You must use better than stock front suspension it they WILL rub. Most good aftermarket suspension systems move the balljoint locations and length to change the caster and camber curves.
What size tires are on those 18x9.5's?

My stuff is not stock nor is it someone's aftermarket 'kit'. My cars are slightly lower than average & slightly lower than many/most on here from what I've read. It has: Ridetech adjustable shocks on full 'firm'; Hotchkis #600/1" drop springs, & 2" drop spindles.
I don't have the alignment specs in front of me but my request was as close as possible to -.5° static camber (a buddy does my alignments).

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
What size tires are on those 18x9.5's?

My stuff is not stock nor is it someone's aftermarket 'kit'. My cars are slightly lower than average & slightly lower than many/most on here from what I've read. It has: Ridetech adjustable shocks on full 'firm'; Hotchkis #600/1" drop springs, & 2" drop spindles.
I don't have the alignment specs in front of me but my request was as close as possible to -.5° static camber (a buddy does my alignments).

I'm running the full RideTech setup with 275/35/18's all around. No rubbing. I'm running around 6.5° caster, don't remember how much camber, I think .5°, 1/16" toe in

Scott Thomas Curry

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
A Delphi 600 box has a servo, instead of a recirculating ball, that gives you rack and pinion in a box that fits the G body with no modifications. I have one and there is nothing like it
Hey there just saw this post can you give me some more information on that Delphi 600 box you speak of, I have all new front suspension Umi a arms upper lower sway bars the works, brand new tie rods and links... Brand new steering box and I'm all over the road it's horrible no one can seem to figure out why, trying different alignment specs and their suggestion was to find a rack and pinion.. what are your thoughts?

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Hey there just saw this post can you give me some more information on that Delphi 600 box you speak of, I have all new front suspension Umi a arms upper lower sway bars the works, brand new tie rods and links... Brand new steering box and I'm all over the road it's horrible no one can seem to figure out why, trying different alignment specs and their suggestion was to find a rack and pinion.. what are your thoughts?

Hi Scott.

Thanks for the question.

Does your box have play in it? I'd be wary of a shop telling you a rack-n-pinion is your solution. You should have 5 deg caster, half deg neg camber and 1/16 toe in (approx) and it should be dead solid. If your current box is bad, that's a different story (although I see you said it's new).

Turn One

Give me a call at 814-376-6000 if you'd like to discuss. If I'm on the other line or away from my desk, please leave a message.

thx

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I would find a new alignment shop before changing anymore parts

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Scott Thomas Curry

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
Hi Scott.

Thanks for the question.

Does your box have play in it? I'd be wary of a shop telling you a rack-n-pinion is your solution. You should have 5 deg caster, half deg neg camber and 1/16 toe in (approx) and it should be dead solid. If your current box is bad, that's a different story (although I see you said it's new).

Turn One

Give me a call at 814-376-6000 if you'd like to discuss. If I'm on the other line or away from my desk, please leave a message.

thx
Yeah we tried the stock GM unit one my original was leaking the new GM one was sloppy mess, then we tried the Jeep Cherokee 94-98 conversion and it's tighter but the alignment is all over the place the car is super scary to drive on the freeway. I'm working with Daune and Ramey at Umi to try to resolve it now just poking around to see what other options there are. We're just trying to see if everything is done properly first then if all else fails I'll give you a call and possibly get one of those steering boxes coming. Thank you for the quick reply

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Upper control arms on the wrong sides

• Wow

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor