GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Wanted to give you guys a short update on the ol' Green Machine. We have been working on a couple odds and ends in the off season to get ready to put in work at events all through the warmer months. First, the setbacks. Last year we had all the power we could ask for but ran into a couple issues that basically cut our season in half. Long lead times on the previous clutch put us behind at the beginning of the season, and shortly after installation the new fried clutch putting us back in the garage waiting for a replacement. The long lead times seemed to be due to the Jerico transmission being a bit of a blacksheep due to spline count and not very common. We ended up going to Centerforce for a Triple Disk unit spec'd out to our requirements. We have had luck with similar units in our 71' Camaro, so it was a logical switch. Secondly we had some damage to one of our Weld wheels that parked the car for that weekend and pushed us to running some mismatched rear wheels we had laying around. Wouldn't be the Green Machine if it were pretty, so nothing new. No test miles on the new Clutch yet, as we are waiting till spring hits and the roads are cleaned up here in Central PA.

For wheels this season we are sticking with the Weld S77's in 18" x 9.5" in the front and ordered 18" x 11" for the rear. This year we are going to run a staggered setup with 275/35r18's out front and 315/30r18's out back. The car seems to respond well to the 275's up front and we have found it likes corner turn in with this setup. The 275 will also allow us to run the Green Machine in the Street Machine (SM) Class at Goodguys events, while our Camaro and LeMans will be running in Pro class with 315's squared. The fronts that we are reusing have seen much better days so I polished them back out the best I could.

With what is looking to be 4 race cars running for this season I plan to run the Green Machine at any local event I can get to this year, as long as the car and myself are both in town. Keep an eye out for updates as we get closer to Spring.

Dave
UMI Performance

unnamed-2-800x600.jpg

unnamed-1-800x600.jpg

IMG_2805-800x600.jpg

IMG_2803-1-800x600.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
That car is awesome!!! Great job guys. I hope to see it this year at summit Motorsports park fo super summit.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Hey guys,

Small update on the Green Machine today. We have the 18" x 11" Welds fitted on the rear with the 315's, up front we are sporting a 275 on a 18" x 9.5". We also made a couple small suspension tweaks including a bushing change on the upper control arms. We were running a Rotojoint/Poly setup but switched out for a Rotojoint/Rod End setup for this season.

Dave
UMI Performance

Reactions: 5 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Hey guys,

Small update on the Green Machine today. We have the 18" x 11" Welds fitted on the rear with the 315's, up front we are sporting a 275 on a 18" x 9.5". We also made a couple small suspension tweaks including a bushing change on the upper control arms. We were running a Rotojoint/Poly setup but switched out for a Rotojoint/Rod End setup for this season.

Dave
UMI Performance
I know you guys utilize spacers so different wheels can be dialed-in/used for different set-ups. What back spacing are the Weld 18x9.5s that are currently on the fronts? Are you utilizing a spacer? If so, what thickness?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Good morning.

We have 18x9.5 with 5-1/8BS and a 1" spacer. And extra long ARP studs.
Wow. I know the car I'm messing with is lower but a 9.5" width w/an effective 4.125" BS would seem to be flush w/the outer edge of the fender. Even @ slightly lower than stock height I would have thought that would be susceptible to damage on compression. Another g-body auto-x'er/tracker I know of w/a later MCSS is running 17x9.5's & he has 5.00" BS & about -.75 Camber.

I know your inner wells are removed for additional clearance. Did you trim away any of the inner sheet-metal structure the wheel-well attaches to as well? How mush static NEG camber do you guys have dialed in on that thing?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor