over flow tank not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
what cause the radiator fluid not to drain from over flow tank into the radiator when its needed. its a new champion radiator that came with its own cap

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
what cause the radiator fluid not to drain from over flow tank into the radiator when its needed. its a new champion radiator that came with its own cap
Bad cap( to long a neck, to short a neck),blockage, hose to bottle kinked/bad, or bad connection so air is bypassing to not allow suction.
See if the little blow off neck is blocked. With cap off LIGHTLY blow into bottle see if it flows to the radiator neck. Try a different hose if the one you have is original or old. Finally try a cap you know is good and see if that works( borrow on off another car or a buddy’s car).
Word of wisdom from my dad was” If man made it, man can screw it up!”

Reactions: 1 users

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Bad cap( to long a neck, to short a neck),blockage, hose to bottle kinked/bad, or bad connection so air is bypassing to not allow suction.
See if the little blow off neck is blocked. With cap off LIGHTLY blow into bottle see if it flows to the radiator neck. Try a different hose if the one you have is original or old. Finally try a cap you know is good and see if that works( borrow on off another car or a buddy’s car).
Word of wisdom from my dad was” If man made it, man can screw it up!”
thanks for feed back. Ya the over flow tank and hose is also new . I'll try reach out to champion to see what they say

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The overflow tank is a very simple part of the cooling system. It is a reservoir with a hose in the bottom.

When the engine cools, if there is air in the system. The radiator cap / neck will drawn from the hose but it must go from hot to cold and have air in the system for it to do anything.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
make sure you have the proper radiator cap and pressure check the cooling system for leaks

Reactions: 1 user

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
My question as well. A lot of aftermarket tanks are just catch tanks.
after doing a little research you maybe right, I call champion radiator and they basically said the same thing. it is a after market tank I guess there is a difference between reservoir tank and over flow tank one just catches the coolant and one that will return it. if there anyone with a photo you can post of the tank you're using on your g body that will return the coolant i would appreciate it. the one i have now is brand new. Next one I buy hopefully will be he last. lesson learnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor