Parts Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
was this the same way customers were treated when you worked there? Not to sound like a jerk but maybe they have a beef with you now?

I hate to say yes and that's where a lot of my frustration came from. All I wanted was to get the right sh*t to my customers, but there's so many ways carelss people can screw that up. As far as a beef with me, it crossed my mind but I dont think that's the case, I really think I'm just seeing how bad it is from the other side of the counter.

low wage wandering employment types with no knowledge or interest in cars, just seeking that $10/hr paycheck? That's another source of poor service and forgotten messages.

This. This exactly.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I really think I'm just seeing how bad it is from the other side of the counter.

I think you've got it with this one. For every guy who is dedicated to the job, enjoys talking shop, and has legitimate knowledge they take pride in passing on, there are probably 1,000 or more workers for whom this is just their 6th job the last 4 years and first in the market.

Kind of goes back to the whole might as well just order online from a warehouse argument, which, it sounds like you may shift to doing in the future to get predictability if nothing else.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
There is a parts store near me that I've been going to since I was a teenager. Some of the same guy's still work there 40 years later. They know me by name and always get what i need by the next day at the latest. If I'm not sure of something they give me several things to try and say just bring back the ones you don't use. Never a charge for this. They always appreciate the regular customers who help keep them employed

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My latest and last bad experience with O'Reilly:

On Saturday I was trying to wrap up replacing the air adjustable shocks on the back of my Roadmaster. I realized I needed an adapter to connect the air lines. Strike against RockAuto for noting "needed for cars without load leveling suspension" instead of correctly noting that it was required "for cars with factory load leveling suspension". Had RockAuto gotten the note right in their system, I would have bought it from them when I bought the shocks.

Not wanting to wait a week for this plastic tee adapter, I shopped around online Saturday afternoon to see what my options were. O'Reilly said they could have it at the store nearest me by 2:30 PM on Sunday. Not great. Ok, so I checked the Hub store and the website showed I could get it by 8:30 AM on Sunday. Perfect! I can finish up the project Sunday morning and get the car back on the road. I pay double the price of ordering it from RockAuto or Amazon (gladly paid the premium for having it faster) and then I'm waiting for the "ok, you can come pick it up" email. I wait all day Sunday. No email. I call the store Sunday afternoon. The associate I spoke with had no idea where my part was. "We'll email you when it comes in." At that point, I went ahead and ordered the part from Amazon for Monday delivery, which is what I should have done Saturday.

Monday morning, I get to work and I get the "ok, you can come pick it up now" email. I go to the store after work to pick it up. The associate that waited on me couldn't find my order in their system. He disappeared into the back of the store looking for the parts for at least 15 minutes. He never came back. Finally, an older guy asked me what I was waiting for and when I told him, he walked five feet down the counter and grabbed my order. Unless I'm absolutely desperate, that's my last trip to the Auto Parts. I'll just order online and wait. It's less expensive and less frustrating. At this point I'm ordering oil, filters, wash and wax stuff, all of it online.

Reactions: 2 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
My latest and last bad experience with O'Reilly:

On Saturday I was trying to wrap up replacing the air adjustable shocks on the back of my Roadmaster. I realized I needed an adapter to connect the air lines. Strike against RockAuto for noting "needed for cars without load leveling suspension" instead of correctly noting that it was required "for cars with factory load leveling suspension". Had RockAuto gotten the note right in their system, I would have bought it from them when I bought the shocks.

Not wanting to wait a week for this plastic tee adapter, I shopped around online Saturday afternoon to see what my options were. O'Reilly said they could have it at the store nearest me by 2:30 PM on Sunday. Not great. Ok, so I checked the Hub store and the website showed I could get it by 8:30 AM on Sunday. Perfect! I can finish up the project Sunday morning and get the car back on the road. I pay double the price of ordering it from RockAuto or Amazon (gladly paid the premium for having it faster) and then I'm waiting for the "ok, you can come pick it up" email. I wait all day Sunday. No email. I call the store Sunday afternoon. The associate I spoke with had no idea where my part was. "We'll email you when it comes in." At that point, I went ahead and ordered the part from Amazon for Monday delivery, which is what I should have done Saturday.

Monday morning, I get to work and I get the "ok, you can come pick it up now" email. I go to the store after work to pick it up. The associate that waited on me couldn't find my order in their system. He disappeared into the back of the store looking for the parts for at least 15 minutes. He never came back. Finally, an older guy asked me what I was waiting for and when I told him, he walked five feet down the counter and grabbed my order. Unless I'm absolutely desperate, that's my last trip to the Auto Parts. I'll just order online and wait. It's less expensive and less frustrating. At this point I'm ordering oil, filters, wash and wax stuff, all of it online.

This is about on par with my limited experience with O'Reilly and their order online/pickup. No notification, so I go there and they're like "uh uh, I dunno" and one guy is like "oh you ordered those shocks right?" and hunts around in back for them, then futzes around with the computer to clear out the order. Not a good look for them.

Reactions: 1 user

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Since I've been back in NM I've been ordering everything online, every one is stuck on Sunday here with getting anything if it's not floormats and armorall your boned for the day for trying to get something simple done at autozone or o'Reillys

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
20+ years here with 15+ as a Store Manager
Yeah i have been everything from a counter man, store manager and NAPA Auto parts store owner. I am currently retired from a city of portland oregon storekeeper position for there fleet dept. I am working part time here at our local NAPA store. Its fun getting familiar again with the routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor