PCV Valve Or Breather

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Getting ready to start on the 81 again and I have to place a Summit order.
How many of you guys are running a PCV valve ? I have a breather on one side of the 406 and planned on putting a PCV on the other side. Now Im wondering if I really need it. Should I just use another breather ?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I run a PCV valve on my Regal with a 355 SBC and a vacuum pump on my Monte with the 565 BBC.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Unless you have a low vacuum engine you need both. The PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) pulls air from the other side of the engine to relieve crankcase pressure, condensation and other gases. The carburetors are metered to allow for that metered vacuum leak. I always use an AC Delco PCV valve

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Unless you have a low vacuum engine you need both. The PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) pulls air from the other side of the engine to relieve crankcase pressure, condensation and other gases. The carburetors are metered to allow for that metered vacuum leak. I always use an AC Delco PCV valve
Regardless I'd always run a PCV...

Breather always gets rid of positive pressure so that's a wash, but, the pcv actively pulls out the vapors that combine with moisture to form acidic compounds and promote sludge formation.

If anything, I'd argue that in the ethanol fuel era with heightened water content in gasolines that a PCV is more important now than it ever used to be.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you're motor is fresh, then a PCV will help develop and maintain good ring seal. On the other hand, if your motor is an oil leaking, high blowby deal then definitely DO NOT run a PCV due to the end result is alot of oil ingestion from the PCV.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I have a ZZ4 using both the PVC valve with a breather on the driver side and the vent tube to air cleaner base.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I have a ZZ4 using both the PVC valve with a breather on the driver side and the vent tube to air cleaner base.
Same engine.... my PCV in on the driver side by the #1 cylinder connected to the 3/8" pcv connection on the front of the carburator base plate and a breather on the passenger side by the #8 cylinder.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I hear a lot about PCV and the reasons for having that system on a motor and what it does. I agree venting and getting rid of any moisture, water vapor which results from combustion is a positive. My motor is a fresh rebuilt 350 with vintage 57 dual quads. There is only a single oil filler tube with a breather cap and no rear vent tube next to the distributor...as in 265-283 motors.

As with anything regarding SBCs, there are pluses and minuses in everyone's opinions. One claim I keep hearing, in particular, is the PCV system helps relieve pressure in the crankcase. Pressure build up in the crankcase would lead to oil leaks. I'm guessing that the main source of any crankcase pressure build up would be from piston/compression blow-by. But in a newly built motor this should be minimal.

All that being said, I've not heard exactly how much or even any suggestions on a range of pressure that can build up in the motor. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Leaks are secondary. Cylinder seal is the primary reason for PCV.

Race cars run open breathers because of frequent rebuilds and the bulk of the time is at WOT. But street cruisers should adopt the exact opposite mentality.

If you intend to put a fair amount of street miles on your car, then a PCV is a must S well as a proper breather. Both work in unison.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Thanks for your response 64. This car is my 87 El Camino and will live on street with only the "heavy foot" WOT experience for sheer enjoyment to impress others! As a retiree, there will be some daily driving and going to local cruz nights here in the islands. I can address acid buildup due to moisture with more frequent oil changes. However, I am concerned about crankcase pressure resulting in oil pan and timing cover leaks since changing gaskets in these areas are a pain in the butt. As many of us envision, we see our kids enjoying these vintage vehicles once we leave the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor