MONTE CARLO Picking up a "barn find" 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
That is awesome. I really don't mean to sound pushy or "know it all" but I am 65 and have been hot rodding since I was 17. Anything I say is the voice of personal experience and (far too often) the result of not thinking things through and making, sometimes, expensive mistakes.
A rebuilt engine for $300 is great. So is a donor car for $1500.
Some things to consider:
  • Even a fresh 305 has nowhere to go from the standpoint of improvement.
    • It will never make competitive power. (compared to other local street cars).
    • Unless it was a "factory" or reputable shop rebuild, there is no guarantee it was done correctly and will run as expected
    • If you sell, the buyers pool for the car will be much smaller with a 305
    • It is exactly the same amount of sweat to get it into the car as a 350
  • A 1500 dollar donor car with a running 350 solves your two biggest problems at the same time, pretty and power.
    • The older engine runs (I'm assuming) so you know you have a functioning powerplant
    • Even with a fair amount of miles on it, it should make more power than the 305
    • Should it need to be freshened up, a basic rebuild kit can be had for as little as $300. (Assuming it is wear not breakage)
    • You can detune the 350 if you're worried about too much power for your child; which is easy to reverse if you drive it.
    • The pool of interested buyers, if you decide to sell the car, will be much larger than with the 305
    • If you sell, you will get more money for the car with a 350 than with a 305
  • And last but certainly not least, who wants to be "All Show - No Go"

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This would be a great place for a Vortec crate. $2200 with a warranty and direct bolt in. Need a carb and dizzy. The Vortec will be extremely driveable for your daughter, give it a little pop, and be a sound motor to build onto if the time comes to do that.

Glad to here you're going to keep it. :):)

FYI - the one pic of the underside of the car is the reason I was considering making the drive to get it. There are no shots like that of cars from around here.

Reactions: 3 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I'll echo everyone:
1) glad you're keeping the car around! t-tops and no rust is a win-win situation, no matter how you look at it.
2) sounds like your daughter learned the life lessons you taught her, and is thankful for what she has/ is given!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Best post ever. This is where we ended up. Not really a loss once we get the motor in.

I found two things locally 1) Rebuilt 305 never installed for 300. 2) a donor car for 1500 with fiberglass SS clone parts installed and an older 350 rebuild. Decisions decisions. Thanks for all the input, guys.

And kids are great. One day you want to hug them and another day shake them..haha. More hug days than bad.

I'm going to complicate your life further... for $1799, with free shipping, you can get a brand new (including block) crate 350 warrantied by GM through jegs, with no sales tax (unless you live in a warehouse state)

Take that, slap a 80s c10 truck 2bbl intake and non-computer dualjet carb... got a dependable motor without questions of wear or blowby, lessened horsepowe in the short term for your daughter, runs on 87 octane, a gm warranty on parts/defects, and 350 cubes nicely broken in for when you want to performance build later by adding better heads to bump compression and better cam.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor