Pics of stock engine 87 442?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssaamm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2008
Fort Stewart, GA
I don't know how to ask this really, I have been on the internet for about 3 weeks now trying to find pics of a 87 442's engine in stock condition so I can try to figure out what I have to get for mine, someone removed a lot of the "un-needed" stuff from mine.
I found mostly small pics with the air cleaner housing on which blocks most of what I'm trying to see.
If anyone has a stock 87 442 I would love some pics of your engine at as many angles possible without the air cleaner on it.
You have no idea how much you would be helping me out. Thank you so much.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
I would keep an eye on e bay........alotta 87 442's posted for sale lately. I have been saving alotta the photos of cars posted. some really great digital photos being posted to sell the cars. You made me notice that I don't have any 1987 442 pics at all

anyways try that........none posted right now, but 1986 or 1985 442 cars are pretty much the same as 1987 under the hood

peace

ssaamm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2008
Fort Stewart, GA
Thanks, will do. I tried oldspower.com with limited luck, I had already tried that once a few days ago but I wanted to double check. I tried to post the same question there but it says I don't have permission to post there. Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming, I have a lot of work to do to this poor ol olds.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Don't you just love "creative modifications" some people do to their cars?

What are you looking for.: vacuum / emission hose routings, sensor locales, electrical routings? If so a chassis service manual may help as it will lay out the routings and you can trace one by one. The smaller Chilton and Haynes manuals you find at auto-parts stores are 50/50 at best but worth a shot too. Sometimes the AutoZone website will have diagrams and pics if this is what you are looking for.

ssaamm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2008
Fort Stewart, GA
A little of everything, I did find a nice wire diagram, but I can't begin to remember where, I saved it and printed it... I would just like to know what some of th estuff looked like for example the cruise control linkage and what ever the plug was supposed to plug into. It is just hard to know what to look for when you don't even know what it is supposed to look like.
Also I see no evidence of this car ever having a smog pump or any of the tubes and crap that goes with it so I am also trying to figure out if these cars ever came without smog system or was it just taken off so long ago and so thouroghly that I can't tell it was there...
Just little things like this keep me awake for hours at night when there are much bigger problems in the world.
I am actually in the process now of trying to track down why the computer does nothing right now, I figure it is the power to it but I have not gotten that far just yet, I'm still making sure I have all the computer controlled peices are physically there and plugged in and it is truely driving me crazy.
Thanks for the ideas.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
IMAG0268.jpg

This is an 87 Brougham with a 307 and a 200r that I just got rid of. I'd think it's about the same. Hopefully it helps ya a little.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
after looking at it a second time, probably not. Sorry dude.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
ssaamm said:
Also I see no evidence of this car ever having a smog pump or any of the tubes and crap that goes with it so I am also trying to figure out if these cars ever came without smog system or was it just taken off so long ago and so thouroghly that I can't tell it was there...
Just little things like this keep me awake for hours at night when there are much bigger problems in the world.
I am actually in the process now of trying to track down why the computer does nothing right now, I figure it is the power to it but I have not gotten that far just yet, I'm still making sure I have all the computer controlled peices are physically there and plugged in and it is truely driving me crazy.
Thanks for the ideas.

If it has no evidence of having a smog pump, it almost sounds like some one did an engine swap on it unless someone just pluged the holes that would be left over in the heads. Especially if the computer system doesnt seem like it is doing anything, see if it still has a computer controlled carb. One more question, does the car feel like it has decent power? If so someone has definately swaped out the 307, because those just are not powerful at all. :D

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
[/quote]

If it has no evidence of having a smog pump, it almost sounds like some one did an engine swap on it unless someone just pluged the holes that would be left over in the heads. Especially if the computer system doesnt seem like it is doing anything, see if it still has a computer controlled carb. One more question, does the car feel like it has decent power? If so someone has definately swaped out the 307, because those just are not powerful at all. :D[/quote]
Dan's right. Probably been changed. 307's are usually very gutlass and yes, because of government all these cars had smog pumps origanally. If your computer isn't doing anything then it's just there. Thats how my car is I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor