Planning Site Upgrade.... Need Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Well, I can honestly say that "Greatly-enhanced mobile-friendly style" scares the hell out of me. Most of the tapacrap forums are more difficult to navigate in mobile mode. Maybe I'm becoming an old crust f__k, but i don't mind zooming in to see something.

On a related note: what's up with the Pinterest link on embedded pics? Sometimes you can tap a pic and it blows up, but you (I) can't close it. I have to hit the 'back' button, then you're back in the forum not the thread.

That's for the default skin, the one I'm using should remain mostly like it is now just updated for 2.x and with more mods by me, I will test the crap out of it and make sure it isn't really weird and wacky.

I forgot about the pinterest thing. I wonder if anyone actually uses pinterest. I don't. I should probably get rid of it. seemed like a good idea at the time. See if anyone notices its gone lol.

re: the images, It probably depends on if its an attachment or inlined from somewhere else, etc. The pinterest button shouldn't affect that, unless you click on the button.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's for the default skin, the one I'm using should remain mostly like it is now just updated for 2.x and with more mods by me, I will test the crap out of it and make sure it isn't really weird and wacky.

I forgot about the pinterest thing. I wonder if anyone actually uses pinterest. I don't. I should probably get rid of it. seemed like a good idea at the time. See if anyone notices its gone lol.

re: the images, It probably depends on if its an attachment or inlined from somewhere else, etc. The pinterest button shouldn't affect that, unless you click on the button.
The ones I'm having a problem with have the Pinterest button. I thought that site was for women- not too many here!

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
i think it would be nice to have something similar to "latest replies" in the home page section but for help request only, so if someone has a specific question for help, they can post it there (i post my questions in "General Discussion, is that right) and it shows up in a dedicated page...or at least the ability to scroll to "next page" in latest replies (unless thats there and I missed it)

reason i mention is i believe alot of people only look to latest replies or new threads first and rarely scroll down to go through all the separate forums.

if a newbie (like me) asks a question and there is alot of actvity, it can push that question off the main page in a day or two and get lost

i guess it can be "bumped"

idk just a thought

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Well, I can honestly say that "Greatly-enhanced mobile-friendly style" scares the hell out of me. Most of the tapacrap forums are more difficult to navigate in mobile mode. Maybe I'm becoming an old crust f__k, but i don't mind zooming in to see something.

On a related note: what's up with the Pinterest link on embedded pics? Sometimes you can tap a pic and it blows up, but you (I) can't close it. I have to hit the 'back' button, then you're back in the forum not the thread.

This is why I don't even open up forums and never have on my phone

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
well, anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 of traffic is mobile/tablet these days, so.... *shrug*

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
This is why I don't even open up forums and never have on my phone
You can do it, but it's kind of a pain to get everything set up in desktop mode. Once it's there and saved, it's not too bad.
What's funny is that I don't have any apps on my phone worth 2 sh*t's. You would think after 10 years of smartphone tech, they could at least get a decent app built/written...

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Been putting together a test site. Not ready for public testing but here's a sneak peek. Still a ways to go yet. Got a "latest media" block back on the front page yeah. been missing that one since the initial switchover to XF.

Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 3.06.34 PM.png

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What's funny is that I don't have any apps on my phone worth 2 sh*t's. You would think after 10 years of smartphone tech, they could at least get a decent app built/written...

Why would they? The sheeple are content with the status quo, more fixated on the newest phone launch than actual content

I just transitioned to a smartphone last week (yeah, I'm old) and hate it already. Can't imagine trying to use it to browse web sites. I like my forum on a laptop or desktop. I'm SO not a modern consumer

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So, why do you think that is and what can we do about it? Do you mean having a separate forum altogether for racing or? Looking for ways to grow the reach.

/

I like the friendly vibe here, hate to see it go the way of yellowbullet.

A couple of decades ago, i was around racers a lot. The crap I see today on forums and youtube from "racers" is nothing like the people I was associated with. I guess for a lot of them today it's all about presenting an attitude..

I don't think racers are as much into the chassis they're using as they are other aspects of the game, might be one reason there are not a lot present.

There are, of course exceptions to the above... lilbowtie comes to mind right away as a good guy I'm glad to see here.

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Something that hasn't been mentioned but should be easy because the info is all there, but the problem might be where to put it is a wiki or sticky area with the things that have been answered over and over again. I'm thinking especially about suspension and steering - F41, 12.4:1 steering box, jeep/minivan steering shafts, S-10 spindles and brakes, tall ball joints, moog spring numbers, etc. Also jounce bars, GP bars, and all the bracing bars that came on the various years and models, and the aftermarket alternatives, etc. Anti-roll bars swaps with other body series. There are probably other areas besides suspension/steering where the wheel has been invented several times, and the search function is not always your friend.

Cheers - Gary

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor