Please stay away from Monster Transmission!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The Vehicle:
· 2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali
· 6.0, 4l65e and All Wheel Drive
· 100% Stock with 120,000 miles
The original transmission lost 3rd and 4th gears 150+ miles from home. No warning, no PCM Fault codes. I had it towed home on a roll back, and parked it as I searched around for a good priced rebuilt transmission. I watch Velocity channel and heard the company Monster Transmission come up, so I gave them ring. The sales department was wonderful, very nice and eager to make the sale. They gave me a military discount, thanked me for my service, and I bought a transmission.
I chose the stage 2 4l65e, with a shift firmness more than stock and less than the stage 2 choice. I also got a stock stall converter. After 4 weeks I received the transmission. It was painted up nice with Hammered/Hammertone paint, and crated well for shipping.
I put the Yukon on the lift, rolled out the transmission jack, and removed the old transmission, flushed the lines and cooler, and got ready for the installation. I added a quart of transmission fluid to the converter, put in it, and then installed the Monster transmission in the vehicle. I used a new transfer case gasket and new GM transmission fluid (85.00 for 3 gallons). I hooked up the Snap-On SOLUS, made sure everything was ok with no codes or issues, and fired it up. After some time to warm up, and shifting through the gears with my foot on the brake, and finished the fluid check and took it for a test drive.
The transmission shifted, albeit it felt soft and like stock. I wanted firmer; it was listed on the build sheet, but whatever. I brought it back to the shop and parked it till the next day for the maiden voyage to work. My work commute is 32 miles each way, with 3 stoplights, 2 stop signs, and all highway, perfect.
Within 20 miles, on the highway, cruise control set at 67 mph, the vehicle clunked and dropped out of overdrive. I pulled off the side of the road, and came to a stop. I then accelerated and the transmission made an awful noise, and only had 1st and 3rd gears. I stopped again, and tried reverse, nothing. So, I called a flatbed, and had to take off work.
I call up monster, talk to Amy, and she instructs me to send the transmission back, initially wanting me to foot the bill on the shipping. I wasn’t very happy considering I just lost a day’s pay and had to pay for a flatbed ride to get it home. The turnaround time for the transmission was 2 weeks.
I get the replacement transmission, flush the cooler system again, but another 3 gallons of transmission fluid, and put the transmission in. It works, shifts like stock (supposed to be firmer), but works. I drive it back and forth to work on a Monday (Feb 9th 2015 now, I ordered the transmission in November), and all is good. 65 miles that day. I drive it to work on Tuesday, get 10 miles out, and it clunks and drops out of overdrive. It is not overheating, it’s in cruise control, same thing happened. I have video. I had to lose a day of work and pay for a tow.
I get it home, put on the Snap-On Solus on it, no codes, (have pics), test that the PCM is commanding shifts, and it is, but the trans is broke. So I call Amy at monster 3 times on Tuesday the 11th, had to leave few messages. I called again on the 12th and get ahold of her. She informs me the last transmission failed from the rear planetaries, in under 20 miles, really? Ok. I ask what to do with this transmission, she says goes and talks to her builder, and they want me to pull the return line off transmission from the cooler and time the fluid flow. They want me to see how long it takes to fill a gallon. I know where they are going with this. I go home that night, take it off, and time it, 49 seconds. I then take off the output from the transmission going to the cooler, time it also, 47 seconds to fill a gallon. The trans fluid is loaded will chucks of metal. I call and leave a message and wait to get a return call. I try calling a few time through the week, nothing.
I finally get ahold of here on the 19th and inform her of the results. She says she has to get with her management and builders. So, she calls my house and leaves a message, I try calling the next 2 days and get her on the phone. She says that her builder insists I have a cooler issue, except the there is a 2 second difference of fluid flow with and without the cooler. (I have video).
I call her no the 27th, and she informs me I won’t get any compensation, let alone transmission repair. The claim is that her builders time one of their transmissions for fluid flow output and it was 17 seconds. So I must have a problem with my cooler. Yet I informed her, and have video of, the transmission filling a gallon in 47 seconds. So how is my cooler at fault again?
I can’t even get the current transmission repaired to resell without paying for shipping to and from, and a 450.00 “bench” fee to fix a transmission that is defective on their dime.
So, I have a reputable building doing my old transmission, and when I get it in a take video of it working, I will have the monster one taken apart on video to see if they even used the parts that they claimed, and to see what the failure was.
Please steer clear from this company. I am out of a vehicle from the last week of November 2014 to about March 3rd 2015 for a transmission; 2 days missed work, 2 150.00 flatbed tows. Way to treat our Veterans Monster.
You can see this post on their facebook, BBB, all numerous performance message boards I have been a long time member off. I will be sure that no-one I come in contact uses this company.

Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Just checked out their page and saw your review. It's really shitty what happened and I hope they resolve it. I was looking at them to get a 4L80e for the big block but ran out of money.....that might be a good thing after reading this.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
Sorry to hear about the shitty treatment from Monster Transmission. I know I won't be using them for my transmission needs.
I think every car forum should be aware and reluctant to use their products after reading about your mistreatment from these people. I hope they wake up and resolve this issue.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
WOW every bad review about this company turns out the same way. Makes me glad that there are a couple transmission shops in my area that can do performance builds.

Last edited:

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
thanks for the review i was thinking of getting one of their "extreme" transmission for my car you saved me from buying a headache

79Hurst

Apprentice
Dec 19, 2014
Sorry to hear about your issues I would be pretty livid I do hope you get this sorted out. I do relate, stay away from an overdrive company that has a bowtie in their company name too, sounds way to familiar to me hearing this...

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
The BBB page on that place speaks for itself too. Tons of complaints.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Sorry to hear about your pain. I hope you get compensated for your troubles. 20 miles and 75 miles on their transmissions. Someone was asleep at the wheel when they put them together for you. Has absolutely nothing to do with what you are doing. Most people wouldn't even think to flush the transmission lines and wouldn't have the problems you have had with those two transmissions. That's one of the reasons why I learned to rebuild them myself. That way I'm not giving someone my hard earned money in hopes I'm getting what I paid for. Then, if it fails for some reason, I get to point the finger at myself.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would try to find someone local who will rebuild it and find the reason it failed. No disrespect to you but you need a mechanic who has the licence to say he/she is qualified to say what the defect was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor