polished or chrome wheels..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Well im finally getting my 78 monte on friday. my grandma drove it off the showroom floor, and now its getting passed down to me. first thing im doing is putting wheels on it. but i cant make up my mind on whether to go with chrome or polished wheels. im going to go with the traditional 5 spoke (ttII) look.

so what are the pros and cons to each? or is it all basically personal preferrence? ive had chrome wheels on trucks, and they seem to get dirty really easy. ive had polished wheels on my motorcycles, and they just seem to lose their luster. any advice? thanks.

83cut350chev

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2007
Churchville, PA
i thinks its mostly just preference and how much time you wanna spend cleaning your wheels. nice truck btw

good luck with the new project

daffy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2008
Houston,Tx
i think it depends on the style your going for. if its more of a muscle look polished looks best. a more show style go for chrome. both ways look good. thats a good looking set of wheels either way.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
^ i agree with you. and i definitely want to go with the muscle car look. but how much of a pain is it to maintain the polished wheels?

here is what im looking at right now:

c5_polished.jpg

OR

c5_chrome.jpg

1988 Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2008
Levittown, PA
I have Centerline Telstars on my car and its not that bad to retain the shine on a polished wheel. However I do believe chrome looks better and defiantly has alot more shine/bling. Like everyone said the polish is more a muscle car look. I think either would look good but I'd probably go with the chrome depending on how much more they were.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
1988 Olds said:
I have Centerline Telstars on my car and its not that bad to retain the shine on a polished wheel. However I do believe chrome looks better and defiantly has alot more shine/bling. Like everyone said the polish is more a muscle car look. I think either would look good but I'd probably go with the chrome depending on how much more they were.

^ Throw up some pics of that whip!

JDub, what kind of rims are those you put up pics of and how much are they? I really like that look.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i like polished! i run both on my cars. aluminum can be much more forgiving with damage and repairs. you can buff minor scratchs out of aluminum but not chrome. road rash of any sort can ruin chrome far worse then polished. i use to be all about chrome wheels, no i avoid them but would still but them if i got a good deal on them

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
JDub, what kind of rims are those you put up pics of and how much are they? I really like that look.

the wheels are called Coys. they are real nice. the TTII look alikes are called C-5's. and Coy also makes some C-55's that look real sweet. and the prices arent too bad. check out his website: www.coyswheel.com

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
regalman4925 said:
i like polished! i run both on my cars. aluminum can be much more forgiving with damage and repairs. you can buff minor scratchs out of aluminum but not chrome. road rash of any sort can ruin chrome far worse then polished. i use to be all about chrome wheels, no i avoid them but would still but them if i got a good deal on them

Thats a very good point. i didnt think about that. the chrome wheels definitely have to be babied more than the polished wheels. good thinking. i also like how much cheaper the polished wheels are.

if i go 17x8 in the front, and 18x8 in the back the prices would be:
polished = $750
chrome = $1050

hmmm..... :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor