polished or chrome wheels..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
1988 Olds said:

Those look very nice ... My Cutty is the same color with the rocker trim, but mine's and '85...

JDub said:
JDub, what kind of rims are those you put up pics of and how much are they? I really like that look.

the wheels are called Coys. they are real nice. the TTII look alikes are called C-5's. and Coy also makes some C-55's that look real sweet. and the prices arent too bad. check out his website: www.coyswheel.com

Awesome .. those C55's look like Boyd's JunkYardDog's ... I like!

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Awesome .. those C55's look like Boyd's JunkYardDog's ... I like!

That's exactly what I thought. Thats actually how I found his wheels; I was looking for junkyard dogs on ebay and came across his.

markcp

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2007
I've just been through the same decisions. I also have a 1978 Monte with a mild 350. I picked the Boyd Coddington Sultans in polished. I went with smaller though, 15 x 7's front, 15 x 8's rear

6864_2.jpg

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
What color is the Monte you're putting the wheels on? That makes a difference. I would go chrome... polished just looks cloudy after awhile.

I like those Coys alot. I like the gunmetal grey color the best though - that's what I'd go with eitherway.

c5_grey.jpg

I've seen them in person and they look so much better. To me, chrome is played out and can look cheap IMO.

If you need help with wheel/tire sizing just let me know. My wheels dont rub anywhere and there were no mods for them to fit.

Also something to consider if you go 18's out back, it will look good, but you see the puny drum brakes. Same with the fronts.. it makes the factory brakes look alot smaller not to mention stop ALOT WORSE.. Dont sweat it though... just plan on making the stop alot sooner. :lol:

Mark, I know you want 15's, but I'd still go 16's. Our Montes look great with 16-17" wheels.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
While Chrome looks better initially, within 2-5 years it will start to pit and peel, then the wheels will look bad. If they are polished aluminum, you can continue to repolish them and they will stay nice longer. In fact, I am going to have the lips of my wheels polished again as part of their restoration, and they are almost 20 years old. I would go with polished for that reason. Chrome plating and Aluminum do not seem to like each other for long periods of time.

Lowrodder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 25, 2008
I just got my Coys (C5) today, I went with the 18" up front and 20" in the rear. Haven't got to bolt them on yet. Lug nuts didn't show up with the wheels. Hopefully they will be here monday. But I went with chrome. Polished wheels are alot of work, with chrome you just got to wash and dry, and if your like me you keep your car clean.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Tony_SS said:
What color is the Monte you're putting the wheels on? That makes a difference. I would go chrome... polished just looks cloudy after awhile.

If you need help with wheel/tire sizing just let me know. My wheels dont rub anywhere and there were no mods for them to fit.

Also something to consider if you go 18's out back, it will look good, but you see the puny drum brakes. Same with the fronts.. it makes the factory brakes look alot smaller not to mention stop ALOT WORSE.. Dont sweat it though... just plan on making the stop alot sooner. :lol:

My monte is the factory burgundy/maroon. ...technically its nowhere near factory. very oxidized and flat. however, i am going to paint it back the way it used to be. and im not really sure whether that would look better with polished or chrome. ive never seen any 78/79 montes with my color and aftermarket wheels (granted, i havent really looked until recently). but your car is a pretty dark red, and i love the way it looks with your wheels.

now that you mention it, i was going to ask about wheel/tire sizing. i think i may follow your example and do the 17x8 and 17x9.5. i just really like how yours came out. but what about backspacing? and what size tire are you running/would you recommend?

i drove the monte for the first time yesterday, and i can see how crappy the brakes are going to be with bigger wheels. so i think ill stay on the conservative side of things and replace stock brake parts as budget allows.

JDub

Apprentice
Mar 10, 2008
Lowrodder said:
I just got my Coys (C5) today, I went with the 18" up front and 20" in the rear. Haven't got to bolt them on yet. Lug nuts didn't show up with the wheels. Hopefully they will be here monday. But I went with chrome. Polished wheels are alot of work, with chrome you just got to wash and dry, and if your like me you keep your car clean.

congrats on the purchase. what did you think of ordering from Coy? what kind of car are you putting them on? id love to see some pictures. how do the chrome wheels look? pretty nice quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor