Poll time: help us decide to sell... or not.

Do you keep and build at the pond, or sell?

• Sell it

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Build it

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I've spent a great deal of time waffling back and forth on this.

We own a second place out east of Atlanta. It's about 7 acres, fully fenced (4' chainlink about 6.75 acres). It has a 2 acre pond on the property, about 35 feet from the house at the closest. Small barn.

House is a '59 brick ranch. Only 2bd/1.5ba on a shade under 2000sq ft. Last updated (partially) in the 1990s. Crawlspace only.

We took an offer on our main house today (we'll see if it comes through to closing). Have some extra building lots next door we'll own free and clear to liquidate too. Trying to decide whether to renovate and build an addition on the lake/pond place, or sell it too, then buy something that suits our needs.

The kicker is, property lays like 40 acres - there's a 5 acre lake behind the back pasture and barn, house is set a good 350 feet back from road already, and next door is a mini farm lacking frontage and acreage to subdivide.

Downsides: watershed protection district make building permits a huge hassle to obtain; the low income crowd fleeing the gentrification of Atlanta has chosen the county to settle in... demographics are shifting to very low income, high crime, liberal oriented types - meaning to the south part of the county where businesses all are the restaurants are closing in favor of fast food, stores are going down hill, bail bonds opening up, and buy here pay here car shops and thrift stores are taking over...

For what it's worth it's in the north part of the county and that watershed zoning (they'll never roll it back) mandates large lot sizes on new development... so density will never come.

It's very peaceful there, but if you want to leave the property to go do something... well, id rather not be out at night anywhere thays a 20 minute drive from the house where any shopping is. Need to go 45 minutes minimum to do anything, preferably about an hour.

Attachments

• 20180514_145309.jpg
    20180514_145309.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 118
  • 20180514_145403.jpg
    20180514_145403.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
  • 20180406_185738.jpg
    20180406_185738.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 104

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sounds like a beautiful spot. Unfortunately...location, location, location.
I doubt the demographics will improve. My vote is at least start looking for a better spot and plan on selling.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't think I would spend time and money on somewhere I didn't want to be.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think if you have to ask you already know the answer and I agree with DRIVEN and Texas82GP.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
Once an area turns to the point that a bailbonds place or more can open and do ok to stay open the area is pretty much screwed. it will only get worse before it gets better. and when they want to go rob and steal cars or break into houses nicer areas are where they will go. I i agree with everyone above. plan to settle somewhere better. Sell while the value is still there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Uncle Dan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 1, 2018
Sounds like Rockdale or Newton. I'd gtfo while the getting's good. Unless you want to be that close to the giant sucking sound that is Atlanta.

I'm 100 miles out & still a bit too close for comfort.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Sounds like a beautiful spot. Unfortunately...location, location, location.
I doubt the demographics will improve. My vote is at least start looking for a better spot and plan on selling.

This is largely what my gut tells me long term. You hate to give up a place like that... when you're there, it's very relaxing. But longer term.... just too nervous about it if you get my meaning. Some large high value houses all around... for now....
Sounds like Rockdale or Newton. I'd gtfo while the getting's good. Unless you want to be that close to the giant sucking sound that is Atlanta.

I'm 100 miles out & still a bit too close for comfort.
We have a winner. It's rockdale on the walton line (as in, walton emc is even the utility provider).

Main house is east cobb, along with about an acre worth of building lots... I'm sick of the traffic, the hob knob snobs... the offer we got is enough to convince me to leave before the house needs a roof in 5 years, or plumbing/electrical upgrades, or...

I'm probably thinking holly springs/canton area... actually, I really wouldn't mind Blue Ridge personally, but, sacrifces for the wife considerations...

I agree; sell'em both, so you can be where and get what you want. I hear the mid-west is nice....

Part that makes that tough is injuries (old and current) concern me long term with winters... my guess is my body would get miserable in short order.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
As we get older there is a lot for feeling safe. I live on 40 acres and do not lock my doors. Have dogs though:)

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Sell now while you can. If the demo starting to shift its only a matter of time
Ive seen it happen in places i lived and we moved and glad we did

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor