Ppl talking smack about your gbody cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
rck79supreme said:
I have had plenty of people talk good about mine and I'm starting to see more G's at the local events. I talked to a guy this last Sat. That had his 87 Monte SS since it was new. You still get people putting their noses up but to each his own. I have had plenty of people pull up put the window down and tell me how nice it is at stop lights and even in the middle of traffic. If they talk smack I don't care its my car and I love it.

Exactly. For me, whatever car I own(usually besides daily driver) its about ownership experience. Everytime I get in the Monte its like a trip back to be highschool days. My senior year in '98 I had the same car. That's so irreplaceable. This is how cars were back in the 70's, 80's and 90's when they were still around. That's something punk kids in ricers will never get. My car isn't the fastest on the road or at the track but I didn't build it to be. And with the upgraded tires and suspension it handles and holds the road incredibly well. I don't give 2 thoughts to haters.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
When I went to the machine shop that still hasn't delivered on building my 455, he said, "maybe later on you can put that engine in a GTO or a Trans Am".

Yeah I get it....people aren't crazy about GP's but that's fine. I've owned a lot of G's and this one is solid, we'll optioned and most of all it's not something you see often.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
oldmansmonte said:
rck79supreme said:
I have had plenty of people talk good about mine and I'm starting to see more G's at the local events. I talked to a guy this last Sat. That had his 87 Monte SS since it was new. You still get people putting their noses up but to each his own. I have had plenty of people pull up put the window down and tell me how nice it is at stop lights and even in the middle of traffic. If they talk smack I don't care its my car and I love it.

Exactly. For me, whatever car I own(usually besides daily driver) its about ownership experience. Everytime I get in the Monte its like a trip back to be highschool days. My senior year in '98 I had the same car. That's so irreplaceable. This is how cars were back in the 70's, 80's and 90's when they were still around. That's something punk kids in ricers will never get. My car isn't the fastest on the road or at the track but I didn't build it to be. And with the upgraded tires and suspension it handles and holds the road incredibly well. I don't give 2 thoughts to haters.

That says it all for me as well, and I was also a senior in 98' and had a butternut yellow Monte, the first car I can remember riding in was a Blue on Blue Grand Prix my parents had, and my grandfather had a white Malibu wagon. So I always notice these era cars when I see them, I take a ton of crap from my buddies, one because its a Cutlass and from what I take they are usually owned by our "south of the US neighbors" and most of my buddies make jokes about painting a dragon on it or slapping Dayton wheels on it, and to make it worse I decided to re-use the 260 and do what I could to make it a better motor, and that is thought to be a waste of money by most even die hard Olds guys. So I get a kick out of all this

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
G-Body_Vet said:
When I went to the machine shop that still hasn't delivered on building my 455, he said, "maybe later on you can put that engine in a GTO or a Trans Am".

Yeah I get it....people aren't crazy about GP's but that's fine. I've owned a lot of G's and this one is solid, we'll optioned and most of all it's not something you see often.

Do you plan on changing the steering box on that thing? I remember the GP's having very low ratio steering(don't know if I meant low or high ratio, but I remember it took many more rotation of the wheels to turn compared to my Monte.

rck79supreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2014
That says it all for me as well, and I was also a senior in 98' and had a butternut yellow Monte, the first car I can remember riding in was a Blue on Blue Grand Prix my parents had, and my grandfather had a white Malibu wagon. So I always notice these era cars when I see them, I take a ton of crap from my buddies, one because its a Cutlass and from what I take they are usually owned by our "south of the US neighbors" and most of my buddies make jokes about painting a dragon on it or slapping Dayton wheels on it, and to make it worse I decided to re-use the 260 and do what I could to make it a better motor, and that is thought to be a waste of money by most even die hard Olds guys. So I get a kick out of all this

FOX80
My first car was a 64 f-85 that I got from my Grandfather in 1980. My second was a 79 cutlass with the 260 in it that i got in 1985. I did hear that about 10,000 miles after I sold it it blew up. A buddy of mine bought it for his ex. (she was pissed to say the least), he just laughed about it. I do like the 305 in the one I have now. My daughter was afraid when I got this one that I would hoopty it out, but I told her I'm a 49 year old guy why would I do that. So I have heard some of the same crap you have.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Being in high school, I get some crap from my friends...and they drive a 91 Tercel, 85 f-250, 87 Dodge Ram 150, 94 Blazer, and an 09 Corolla. Whenever they start talkin crap I just say, "my roof comes off...you're argument is invalid"

Retro_Future27

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2013
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Me being in High School do get alot of crap. I have a female friend with a mint 70' Nova and her brother a mint 67' Mustang. Believe it or not they arent car people. Then my car buddies only care about Hondas, imports, and lifted trucks. My friends always doubting the driveability of it. My car isnt the oldest in the parking lot but everyone calls it "Dino" It doesnt have paint, missed matched panels, and looks like it was "driven straight out the boneyard" But anyone at my school would tell you Ive put a ridiculous amount of work into it and I take pride in it. I love my G, I get a lot of hate but I still get offers for it while im pumping gas. I get occasional thumbs up, and older guys stop me to talk about it, but no youth or a mass interest in my car. But what makes me love my 78 more than any other in town is there isnt any 78-80 cutlass coupes here or any car similar to it imo. Usually Monte Carlos and the 81 model Cutlass driving around. There has been a few times I thought about selling it for something newer, but I don't see me enjoying myself in any other vehicle and my friends say they couldn't see me driving any other car but Dino.

Attachments

• IMG_20141030_155705_705.jpg
    IMG_20141030_155705_705.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 281

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
That kind of stuff borthered me when I was younger (Im 40 now) but now a days I just try a little harder to enjoy myself. Life is too short.
I try to remember that alot of spectators at car shows are just that, spectators. Some may have never went junkyard hunting, busted a knuckle, or even changed a tire. If it isnt an Eleanor clone or a 57 Chevy, they might not be too interested. And some people are just a$$e$. But like any public and social event, you will get all kinds at a carshow. Good and bad.
There has not been 1 little kid at a car show that didnt think my car was the coolest thing in the world. Grant it they only felt like that until they saw the next car, but still it made them happy for a couple minutes. Its reminds me of how I felt when I was a kid and took an interest in "cool" cars.
And every now and then Ill let a kid get in and honk the horn or have their parents take a picture. Priceless guys, priceless.

Man I sound old.

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Try owning a 78 Salon Aero. I have not found anyone around here that likes them. One instance of crap talking is what caused me to tear it apart for resto in 2008. I bought it in 08 and it was used up looking. One of the worst G bodies I've owned with wore out drivers door pin bushings. I just got it running and registered and drove it around maybe a couple weeks. I went to my local gas station to get an energy drink. When I came out, two guys were standing around it giggling. I opened the door and one guy said that's the ugliest car he's ever seen. I told him THANKS and got in the car. The door did not shut and I had to open and slam it. This really had them laughing. I backed up, put it in 1st (factory 4 speed manual) and lit the one tire up for a few seconds. When I got back home I tore it apart. Ended up trading the stripped hulk off to a buddy and got it back. I know when its done that there is going to be some serious crap talking from haters. I tried to sell it last summer to a guy. He was interested in it only for the parts. He said he would buy a regular Cutlass and put all the parts on it. I told him that would be awesome if you did that, then you could go to car shows and park by all the OTHER regular Cutlasses there. No offense to non aero cars cause I've owned a bunch and still look to buy when I can. The worst was people would ask" what is it ? " I'm putting the 442 logos on it so SOME people will at least know its an Olds

thepcsurgeon

Master Mechanic
Oct 10, 2013
Orange County, NY
The last guy talking smack had a blown sbc. Couldn't hear all he was saying, he was to far behind me to hear all the words. I have to take lip reading classes this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor