Precision Measuring Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I need some precision measuring tools. Engine building tools. Micrometers, dial indicators, calipers, valve spring micrometers, etc... Plus engine assembly tools, valve spring compressors, ring compressors, etc... The catch is, I need them to be affordable! Do you guys have any recommendations for these tools that are accurate and affordable?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Harbor Freight is a great place to get reasonable tools. The catch really is these are tools you will be using for the rest of your life or making a living with. You don't want a cheap valve spring compressor when your dealing w/ high rate roller springs(it's dangerous). I know you have had enough experience to know what I'm talking about so buy accordingly. I don't like ring compressors I use loaders and have made my own on a lath. I managed to get a good set of mic's from e-bay. Used tools are always a possibility but I have found they want too much. I have made all my bushing - cup plug installers(cam & transmission), and head rollover tool. What I'm trying to say is buy smart and make what you can.

Reactions: 1 users

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
After reading some reviews, the Harbor Freight stuff doesn't look too bad. I might use some of their stuff.
I definitely don't want a poor quality valve spring compressor. That would be dangerous. I basically just want the best compromise between price and quality. I don't care about name brands in this case. I just want decent tools that don't cost a fortune.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Pawn shop?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Pawn shop?

That's a pretty good idea. It's worth a look. The main problem I have with pawn shops is that they always over price stuff. Tools especially, around here anyways. I don't know how many times I've been in the local pawn shops and saw a tool I wanted until I looked at the price tag. A lot of times I could by it new for just a few dollars more and get a warranty. It seems like these shops around here don't want to haggle and make a sale. They're pretty firm on their prices.
I may take a look though. You never know until you try.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have bought some tools from machinists who change occupations or retire. Those tools are usually of high quality and taken care of and are reasonably priced

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't know where you buy tools, but, the professional tool trucks are ultra-expensive. Also, consider that pawn shop prices can be negotiable. I think there is a better deal to be had from mom & pop pawn shops versus chain or franchise versions like Cash America or EZ Pawn. There is nothing wrong with Harbor Freight per se, I have one the digital vernier calipers that is plenty accurate and they are less than $20 new that I use for quick stuff ( I bought it for around $5 with some other cooler stuff at the pawn shop!).

Pawn shop inventory can change daily as well.

I just want to share, I am not a tool snob, I have all sorts and brands, I needed an impact wiggle socket, I went to the pawn shop and dug out a whole set, not the same brand, but all the sizes....they were marked around $15 each, I think I ended up paying closer to $5 or $8 each because they made it a package deal. A pawn broker can smell a tool snob a mile away, so if you are always just looking for Snap-On or Mac or Matco only....you are gonna pay a premium. So now, every time I go in there, I buy stuff, extra, like I needed a shop hammer (handle broke on mine) bought a 36" long transmission removal style 1/2-to-3/8 extension, said digital caliper, three misc hammers, a couple of chisels, and a tape measure... for what they had the extension marked as a package deal, the joke is "the more you buy, the cheaper it gets!" I culture this relationship....I go and buy stuff here and there, like one of those HF transmission jacks, I got it for $40 along with some other stuff. The theory is, you are a good customer, you will come back for more, along with, a pawn shop normally has already made money of the items for sale (they were in pawn) and they are taking up shop/store space.

Now, the pawn shop I deal with, has been in business in some form or another since 1912. Its totally old school, guns, tools, some hunting/camping stuff, jewelry and some musical instruments, they don't take plastic...they deal in cash, do the same with whatever one you go to*. I started going there for guns only...it escalated...I take people there to find stuff...I refer people there all the time having them use my name, when I went to roof my dad's house, I went in to buy a couple of roofing nail guns...they let me borrow three, as long as I would clean and oil them up before I returned them...I ended up buying one.

My depth gauge, piston ring compressor, shop heater, numerous wire dikes, crimpers, pliers, wrenches, tons of sockets, brake spring and bleeders... tons of stuff, all has pawn shop stickers or numbers.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With precision tools, sometimes they are worth the investment due to the fact you want that exact thousndths of an inch on an engine. I got some of mine from the carbide plant I used to work at. Look at swap meets & yards sales to see what they have. You might get lucky on the tool truck with some trade ins or repos. Just don't go totally cheap.

• Agree
Nov 4, 2012
I've put a couple different dirt bike and lawn tractor engines together and built a bench grinder from scratch using Harbor Freight measurement tools. Nothing has exploded yet. Their digital micrometer is a nice tool for the price. Still has nothing on good quality professional tools, but I wouldn't fret over using one on an engine build so long as it's not powering a spacecraft or something.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have bought quite a few assembly tools from Summit Racing, there is usually a few of any tool to choose from in varying price ranges and quality.
Plus there is usually a few reviews to weigh your options and chances are I am going to order something anyways so shipping is always free.
Even though I have other dial calipers I have found the HF digital ones are pretty accurate for most things.
As far as ring compressors I have used the exact bore tapered ring compressors and found they work flawlessly for me and I have probably accumulated around 6 different ones over the years now mostly for BBC bores sizes.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor