Problem, Knocking..continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
So I took all my belts off and even the fan for just a few seconds to take this video.
The knocking seems to have gotten louder and the grinding type noise has too.
So I hope you all can hear this pretty well, I had silence outside and you can hear it perfectly.
So what I am thinking is a rod because its coming from around the valve cover.

Here's the video Hope you can determine and hear it well.
http://youtu.be/IGF_XUcfWhU

Thanks in advanced again.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I read your other post about the same issue and noticed you said it was loosing power and stalling. That sounds like something valve train related. A rod knock will not come from the valve cover, you will here it more from the oil pan. You need to get a vacuum gauge and see if that can show you anything. Take a look at this site that explains how to interpret the readings, http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

If it shows that you have issues with the valve train, I would pull the valve covers and see if you can find any obvious issues. It could be anything from a bent push rod to a wiped out cam lobe.

johnkracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2010
central Michigan
I would think you have something on top of a piston. If you're lucky it could be carbon, Runs some water thru the carb at elevated RPM ( GM has a better product can't recall the name. Search your recent activities with air cleaner removed. Mine was a 1/4 inch nut that was supposed to keep the stud in place! Hope I'm wrong. John

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
with that kind of sound, don't even bother trying anything, it's not worth the time. just pull the head. whether it's a small nut, a bad rod, or a bad valve you'd have to do it anyway.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Well it sound like the time i blew a headgasket on my cutlass. Gasket blew out between block and head and the intake and lifter valley. Car still ran fine just had no power. A quick way to see if hg blew out start car up at night in the dark see if you notice any flames coming out the side of motor below exhaust manifolds. Noise will get louder with belt off because motor is spinning faster due to no drag of acc.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
dan2286 said:
I read your other post about the same issue and noticed you said it was loosing power and stalling. That sounds like something valve train related. A rod knock will not come from the valve cover, you will here it more from the oil pan. You need to get a vacuum gauge and see if that can show you anything. Take a look at this site that explains how to interpret the readings, http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

If it shows that you have issues with the valve train, I would pull the valve covers and see if you can find any obvious issues. It could be anything from a bent push rod to a wiped out cam lobe.

I am going to Phelps tomorrow to get the gauge, I just need this fixed me and my family have no other car to drive this is our only car.
So I have to do all I can to get this done. I appreciate the site that honestly makes this so so much easier to try now.
Thanks for your help.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
johnkracer said:
I would think you have something on top of a piston. If you're lucky it could be carbon, Runs some water thru the carb at elevated RPM ( GM has a better product can't recall the name. Search your recent activities with air cleaner removed. Mine was a 1/4 inch nut that was supposed to keep the stud in place! Hope I'm wrong. John

Could I ask how to try this? Like what do I need to do to run water through it?
Thanks.
I do hope its a small fix like this.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
megaladon6 said:
with that kind of sound, don't even bother trying anything, it's not worth the time. just pull the head. whether it's a small nut, a bad rod, or a bad valve you'd have to do it anyway.

So I honestly shouldn't try to do anything, Just take the head off and replace it or what?

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
chevy2480 said:
Well it sound like the time i blew a headgasket on my cutlass. Gasket blew out between block and head and the intake and lifter valley. Car still ran fine just had no power. A quick way to see if hg blew out start car up at night in the dark see if you notice any flames coming out the side of motor below exhaust manifolds. Noise will get louder with belt off because motor is spinning faster due to no drag of acc.

When you blow a head gasket shouldn't it smoke very very bad though?
But just in case I will go out there to check that out now, cause its pretty dark outside now here.

The belts I took off cause in a earlier post someone told me to take them all off to see if it would stop or slow down a bit.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
David Williamson said:
chevy2480 said:

When you blow a head gasket shouldn't it smoke very very bad though?
But just in case I will go out there to check that out now, cause its pretty dark outside now here.

The belts I took off cause in a earlier post someone told me to take them all off to see if it would stop or slow down a bit.
No it didnt smoke at all out exh because coolant passages in hg never got breached. Oil was clean etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor