Status
Not open for further replies.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
chevy2480 said:
David Williamson said:
chevy2480 said:
Well it sound like the time i blew a headgasket on my cutlass. Gasket blew out between block and head and the intake and lifter valley. Car still ran fine just had no power. A quick way to see if hg blew out start car up at night in the dark see if you notice any flames coming out the side of motor below exhaust manifolds. Noise will get louder with belt off because motor is spinning faster due to no drag of acc.

When you blow a head gasket shouldn't it smoke very very bad though?
But just in case I will go out there to check that out now, cause its pretty dark outside now here.

The belts I took off cause in a earlier post someone told me to take them all off to see if it would stop or slow down a bit.
No it didnt smoke at all out exh because coolant passages in hg never got breached. Oil was clean etc.

Oh okay thanks, I am going to check for the flame now.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
Have you checked the bolts that hold the torque convertor on? If all 3 are tight, I would next pull the valve covers off and investigate.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
yeah ya might have a broken push rod or one with crushed tips.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
David Williamson said:
Nope I saw no flame coming from the exhaust manifolds, I looked up a video on google and saw it so I could have a thought of what it would look like.
I saw nothing.

But the loud squeaking/grinding noise became louder.
Wasnt saying from manifolds it would be where head meets block below that. Either way i would think you would see it. Before you go yanking heads as others suggest. Get a compression tested and go from there. It could very well be valve tran failure.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
chevy2480 said:
David Williamson said:
Nope I saw no flame coming from the exhaust manifolds, I looked up a video on google and saw it so I could have a thought of what it would look like.
I saw nothing.

But the loud squeaking/grinding noise became louder.
Wasnt saying from manifolds it would be where head meets block below that. Either way i would think you would see it. Before you go yanking heads as others suggest. Get a compression tested and go from there. It could very well be valve tran failure.

Yeah I was kinda hesitant on just taking things off when there was a simple test I could do.
Sorry I misinterpreted what you said, I was thinking it to no matter where it was I would see a flame shooting out the side haha.

But thanks so much for the suggestions.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
hey Pal, I see you're still dealing with the problem.
... some people are jumping to big conclusions like, piston or head damage. Let's not panic just yet, and start by troubleshooting the simple things.

get that vacuum gauge, it will tell you alot. Plug it into a manifold vacuum port, and see what it reads. A vacuum test can reveal alot and is simple to do, so let's start here.

follow this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnzD7PgoHI

take a video of the reading you get for us. Then let's go from there

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
khan0165 said:
hey Pal, I see you're still dealing with the problem.
... some people are jumping to big conclusions like, piston or head damage. Let's not panic just yet, and start by troubleshooting the simple things.

get that vacuum gauge, it will tell you alot. Plug it into a manifold vacuum port, and see what it reads. A vacuum test can reveal alot and is simple to do, so let's start here.

follow this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnzD7PgoHI

take a video of the reading you get for us. Then let's go from there

Yeah so many things I don't know which to do and which to wait for, So I am freaking out trying to do all the above and cant.

So thanks for this and I will get it tomorrow and hook it up and I will make sure to get the reading on camera and post it here for you all, Thanks again khan0165 this helped a lot.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if it's valvetrain related, it is easy to look under the valve cover. Quite often what happens is the nut that holds the rocker arm comes loose and the rocker arm lets go of a pushrod. Then this pushrod is being tossed around in it's sleeve and catches something and bends or breaks.

So your noise could be as bad as a destroyed lifter (pushrod bent and recked the valvetrain), or it could be simple as a loose rocker arm.

the vacuum test is a good place to start...
in the mean time, try not being hard on the motor. If you have to run it, leave it at idle to do the test. This will avoid too much further damage, if incase something is wrong.

and yeah... let's not panic... take things one step at a time, starting with the simplest solutions.

good luck, and keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor