Problem, Knocking..continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
It probably is, back before I knew how to get cars running properly I had put distributors in a tooth off and tried driving them, backfiring, popping, all that stuff. Its easy to put in a tooth off and a bit harder to put in correctly but it is by no means a challenge. Check the firing order before you do anything with the distributor. Could be as simple as a wire out of place. Once you have assured the wires are in a their correct location move on to adjusting the timing. If you cannot find a position for the distributor where the car will run right then it may have to be pulled out and reset back in there. Again not a challenge pretty simple.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you take a distributor out and not turn the engine over then it's easy to get it lined up as it was before you took it out but it is easy to be off 1 tooth....don't be so quick to jump on the guys who installed it....ask how many guys in here have bought a running 350 engine for $200, had their engine removed and the 350 installed for another $200

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
CHRIS.O said:
It probably is, back before I knew how to get cars running properly I had put distributors in a tooth off and tried driving them, backfiring, popping, all that stuff. Its easy to put in a tooth off and a bit harder to put in correctly but it is by no means a challenge. Check the firing order before you do anything with the distributor. Could be as simple as a wire out of place. Once you have assured the wires are in a their correct location move on to adjusting the timing. If you cannot find a position for the distributor where the car will run right then it may have to be pulled out and reset back in there. Again not a challenge pretty simple.

Okay thanks I will check now.
I hope its as easy as you all say it is haha.
i am watching the video now before I go out.

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
pontiacgp said:
if you take a distributor out and not turn the engine over then it's easy to get it lined up as it was before you took it out but it is easy to be off 1 tooth....don't be so quick to jump on the guys who installed it....ask how many guys in here have bought a running 350 engine for $200, had their engine removed and the 350 installed for another $200

Oh no by no means am I trying to get on them, just saying they didn't put it on they had their nephews come over and do the work one was 14 the other 18 and I assumed they might have put it in wrong.

But I will check it now though to see if that is the problem.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
You're not going to do much good untill you get that timing light. You need to be able to check the timing before you can determine if your dizzy is a tooth off. What they mean by a tooth off is...

21092747-634-SBC-CHEVY-HEI-350-DISTRIBUTOR-WPLUG-WIR.jpg

At the end of the dizzy shaft (that goes into the engine itself) there is a gear drive, that's driven by the camshaft. Sometimes when you drop them back in, they are a tooth off, and it'll **** up your timing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can usually tell if the distributor is off by a tooth if you have to turn the distributor as far as you can in one direction just to get the car to run

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
Okay well the light should be in tomorrow, also I have been trying but everyday were having problems.
1 day I go out to try our daughter gets bit by a spider, the next my wife is spotting blood and were pregnant with our second so she freaks out we have to go again today so I cant work on it again today.
This week has been very hectic and filled with fright.
But when i have time I am going to go out and just try to get everything done before anything else goes wrong.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
take your time...
... it's all about patience. Try everything one at a time, it's the only way to learn all this stuff. The more you rush, the less you're gonna like doing it.

I know we're throwing lots of stuff at you, but take it in stride. Keep it saved at the back of your head, and get to it one by one after you finish the 1st thing on your list.

cheers,

David Williamson

G-Body Guru
Jan 7, 2011
khan0165 said:
take your time...
... it's all about patience. Try everything one at a time, it's the only way to learn all this stuff. The more you rush, the less you're gonna like doing it.

I know we're throwing lots of stuff at you, but take it in stride. Keep it saved at the back of your head, and get to it one by one after you finish the 1st thing on your list.

cheers,

Thanks, I am I am just watching the videos and listening to your alls directions.
So when I can do it I will have the best visionary and directions I can comprehend.

But I might have a free day today, shes feeling a little better.
She also bought me some new tools so that's going to make me go out there even more, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor