Problems after installing 4.11 Rear End

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael_l_matthews

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Houston TX
Finally finished putting the 4.11 rear end in my Cutlass and drove it for the 1st time in almost 2 months and I be damn if it didn't over heat on me on the way home, looks like coolant is pouring out from right above the water pump and also from the timing chain cover, any suggestions that can help me pinpoint the issue?

hopefully the motor didn't blow..... #back_to_the_daily_driver ;-)

michael_l_matthews

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Houston TX
I'm quite sure it was over heating bcuz I could smell the coolant from inside the car, but I guess it could've been me smelling the actual coolant that was spilling out. I could see that the water was coming from the right side of the water pump and I could clearly see that it was coming from the bottom of the timing chain cover (I'm more concerned about the coolant coming from the timing chain cover as I've never seen that happen before and from what I read, if the coolant is coming from there then the block might be cracked)

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Do you have a tach? If so I'm curious as to how many RPMs you were running. If you hit a highway at some point and had to maintain high RPMs maybe your engine just wasn't ready for it after sitting 2 months. A friend of mine bought a junk 70 Monte with 4:11s and a 3 speed which was sitting in a guy's yard. He decided he wanted to drive it home and it started leaking and smoking pretty good on the highway.

michael_l_matthews

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Houston TX
I do not have a tach and yes I did drive on the highway...... are you saying that maybe the higher RPM's caused too much stress on the motor? If so and its just the water pump or a gasket issue what can I do about that to prevent this from happening again?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
If you say it's coming out from the timing cover it could be mixing in the engine plus if it leaking out of the timing cover it could be a bad timing cover gasket and the coolant seeped in and out of it. Was the coolant milky looking? That could be an indication that coolant and oil could be mixing. That could mean you have bad head gaskets.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Theres always the possibility that the gasket just let go because it was old. Sometimes weird events coincide with changing something on your car. I would redo the gaskets maybe even the pump and thermostat if it has been a while since any of them have been replaced and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor