Problems after installing 4.11 Rear End

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael_l_matthews

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Houston TX
yea I know that weird things like this happen, I just hope its not something serious because I wasnt ready to do a motor swap yet, but I guess there's no better time than the current time ;-)

I'm going to try to replace all of the gaskets as well as the water pump and thermostat and see if that resolves the problem

anybody else ever heard of coolant coming out of the timing chain cover?

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
you may also want to have the radiator gone through at a rad shop. the rad could me bad also and can lead to other cooling issues.

with those gears on a car with a three speed transmission and one that hits highway speed, you really want to make sure the car is getting proper cooling, if the rad is bad its going to block alot of the cooling and may lead to cracking a head or worse

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
michael_l_matthews said:
yea I know that weird things like this happen, I just hope its not something serious because I wasnt ready to do a motor swap yet, but I guess there's no better time than the current time ;-)

I'm going to try to replace all of the gaskets as well as the water pump and thermostat and see if that resolves the problem

when the water pump goes bad it usually leaks from it, if you have checked all that others have suggested, then I would just replace it. how many miles you got on it. sometimes they just go bad... it may look like its coming from the timing chain cover, but its the pump leaking...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
michael_l_matthews said:

if you have coolant coming out of the timing cover you'd also have oil leaking out of it and the coolant would have mixed with the oil in the oil pan. That's why I asked about the heater hose since it's in the same location

michael_l_matthews

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2011
Houston TX
good news..... I finally got a chance to go look at my car in the day time and found that the coolant was only coming from the Water Pump. It was just coming out so fast that it appeared to be coming from Timing Chain cover also. I changed the water pump and thermostat and I'm back on the road again, my next step will be getting a 200r4 bcuz the new rear end definitely increases the RPM's, I found one in a 87 Cutlass and plan to try to get it soon, it looks like the only thing missing on it was the cable which hopefully wont be a problem.

Any suggestions on what all I need to grab from the car to make the swap easier?

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
michael_l_matthews said:
good news..... I finally got a chance to go look at my car in the day time and found that the coolant was only coming from the Water Pump. It was just coming out so fast that it appeared to be coming from Timing Chain cover also. I changed the water pump and thermostat and I'm back on the road again, my next step will be getting a 200r4 bcuz the new rear end definitely increases the RPM's, I found one in a 87 Cutlass and plan to try to get it soon, it looks like the only thing missing on it was the cable which hopefully wont be a problem.

Any suggestions on what all I need to grab from the car to make the swap easier?
8)

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
michael_l_matthews said:

Driveshaft, crossmember if needed depending on what trans you already have in the car, also if your sticking to the quadrajet get the throttle and tv cable braket off of the intake manifold if not you might want to go aftermarket, the connector that plugs into the transmission so you can set up lock up, and find a cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor