Project 85 Black 442 frame off restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Well, still waiting on one of my vendors to send the sample pieces for me to fit the rocker. So currently I am in Nashville on a business trip waiting the arrival of a rocker from Gbodyparts on Sat as well. So yesterday I thought I would try my hand at welding a patch into my quarter wheel well and throw some mud at it to see how it sticks. I really liked the metal glaze I worked with. It allowed me to apply and sand in a 20 minute window. What I like even more about this type of work is the fact that after it dries you can mold and craft the filler in any ways possible to your skill level. And If I purely sucked at it, I just sand it back off.

I tacked this piece in since I got it placed just right. Then I took rust blaster to the existing rust to remove it.

IMAG3231.jpg

IMAG3233.jpg

IMAG3234.jpg

To the filler I go

IMAG3236.jpg

IMAG3235.jpg

IMAG3238.jpg

IMAG3237.jpg

Just a little touch up left to go and the quarter will be ready for DTM

86monte

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2012
Vermont
This is an amazing build. I wish i was able to do half of what you can do. Keep up the good work! oh and what filler are you using?

Blew86442

Greasemonkey
Mar 8, 2012
Holy hell man! With all this beautiful work that you are doing, you painting that thing yourself should be a walk in the park! Excellent work!

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
86monte said:
This is an amazing build. I wish i was able to do half of what you can do. Keep up the good work! oh and what filler are you using?

Thanks!!! I am using a Keystone Key620 polyester glaze

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Blew86442 said:
Holy hell man! With all this beautiful work that you are doing, you painting that thing yourself should be a walk in the park! Excellent work!

ill tell you what I hope so!!!!!

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Nice patch on the quarter.
1. Make sure that you have all the rust out of the pits.
2. You can do this with a spot blaster that has a recovery nozzle.
3. Epoxy prime before you fill.
4. Use a fiberglass fine strand fill it seals and is moisture resistant,it is harder to work but is far better for this type of repair.

You do better work than some so called bodyman.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Dang toby thats coming along nice. You definetly need to head over this way and restore some parts for that olds that i got the 8.5 off of you for :mrgreen: . Very nice restoration and cant wait to see more

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
Wow that thing has really been hit hard by papa rust. Great work bringing her back! a less ambitious man would have sent her to be melted down into a patio set.

I am at a similar point in my build, pulling rusty panels and such. What is the black paint you are using over the epoxy? what is the sound deadening stuff you are spraying over it?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Carlola said:
Wow that thing has really been hit hard by papa rust. Great work bringing her back! a less ambitious man would have sent her to be melted down into a patio set.

I am at a similar point in my build, pulling rusty panels and such. What is the black paint you are using over the epoxy? what is the sound deadening stuff you are spraying over it?

I havent decided what sound deadening I am using yet. Probably a paintable 3m undercoating. The paint I am using is a 1 part black paint Called Chassis Saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor