BUILD THREAD Project Diesel No More/Teen Dreams Realized

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Still waiting on the body shop unfortunately. Cruise control is working, and all mechanical and electronic tuning is done. Hoping to make a Dixie Olds Club event in August, but looking doubtful if the body shop doesn't get to it next week.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Body shop jail is AWFUL!

It’s the reason we paint everything in house.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Body shop jail is AWFUL!

It’s the reason we paint everything in house.
Bodyshop jail is 100% correct. I had a 96 truck painted last year. Took it in around Feb 1. They told me 2-3 weeks. I waited 5 weeks before I started calling. I was told 2 more weeks a couple of times, then "next Friday" several more times. I finally told them I was coming to get it the Friday before Memorial Day, and if it wasn't finished I'd just take it somewhere else. They were still removing tape and cleaning it up when I arrived to get it. Had to fix several wires where they apparently dropped the bumpers with wires still attached, then just cut them. They tried to reconnect some, but there were exposed wires where they had dropped the bumpers. Emblems in the wrong place. Obviously, it is not the same bodyshop doing the work on my Cutlass. I've got a bodyshop that has done good work for us over the years, but they are so overloaded with insurance collision work that they wouldn't do a full repaint. I called about a dozen shops around my area, and only found a few that would even do it.

Reactions: 1 user

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
I spoke with the bodyshop today. Paint work is in progress. They are looking into options for chrome finish on the unobtanium trim strip at the back edge of the hood. Could get the car back this week or next.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Body shop work is done. I am told I can pick it up next week. I should be more excited, but it's been a hectic few weeks. Both daughters in college moving apartments, my Dad having medical issues, work overload, and trying to get prepared to go elk hunting the 1st of September. So, I will have the car for one weekend before I leave for a 2 week hunting trip. Hopefully the weather will be good August 21 and I can take this freshly restomodded Cutlass Calais to the Dixie Olds Club event at Summit Racing Equipment in McDonough, GA.

Reactions: 3 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I spoke with the bodyshop today. Paint work is in progress. They are looking into options for chrome finish on the unobtanium trim strip at the back edge of the hood. Could get the car back this week or next.
Is that chrome strip at the back of the hood the same as the one on the Malibu hood? If so, I have that strip on my old hood. PM me if interested.

Attachments

• 20220628_091220.jpg
    20220628_091220.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220628_091411.jpg
    20220628_091411.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 50

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
That's the advertising shot there, with the shop that did the drivetrain swap in the background. I will have a close up photo session with some better background when I get it home.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Awesome build. Enjoy!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor