PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
This was a quick trip to the other side of town to check on a fender I located on CarPart.com. In the description, ( it actually had pics, which a lot don't ), it looked pretty good. I called first thing this morning to check if it was still available. It was. I confirmed the price of $45. Yes. Ok, I'm on my way... Upon looking at it, I did not see any damage or dings, just surface corrosion. The pick ticket he gave me to go find it on the lot said: RETAIL $45 and WHOLESALE $40. Well, you guys know how I do it... Here's what I got for $40- Pass. side front fender / integrated turn signal light / signal light bezel / wiring pigtail / all the bolts & shims / front splash shield / stainless fender trim / bumper filler ( rough- i won't use it ) / both fender to core support braces / a nice set of radio knobs & matching lighter ( never used ). Thanks you!
IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Only if we get to keep whatever we "clean up" :banana:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
A couple more parts for the build...
1991 Chevy truck serpentine water pump pulley. One step closer to having everything to convert the 403 Olds to a Chevy serpentine belt set up. A little clean up and paint - no problem...
IMG_1045.JPG

I had White Face Gauges do a few modifications for me.
- Factory style BLACK, instead of white
- 120 MPH instead of the wimpy 85
- Changed the YELLOW line, and RED line to more appropriate RPM levels ( yellow starts @ 4400 rpm stock - meh! )
- Added ROCKET FUEL ONLY, instead of Unleaded Fuel Only
IMG_1046.JPG

Reactions: 12 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Wonder if they do custom clear overlays for colored warning lights.
I had to contact them through Ebay, but they were very responsive. My special order took 4 weeks to receive, and they let me know when it shipped.

Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
More parts for the Butless Cutlass.
IMG_1054.JPG

I found these on a FB. Did my usual negotiating, and bought them for $80. They have (1) scuff on each panel. I will work that out with a light sand/Scotchbrite, and then paint them to match the rest of the interior. These are the nicest panels I have seen lately, and are easily worth twice what I paid. I'm very happy to have found them. I have a pair of Pioneer 5.25" speakers, but they are buried. When I went to go look for them to take the pics, I took one look at all the crap I would have to move to get to them, and said NOPE!

This is the one area that I will add some weight back to the car. I do plan on driving this car weekly, so I do want a decent radio. I plan to install (6) speakers in the factory locations, and add a decent "mid-quality" amplifier to run it all.

I'm trying to get all of the best options the factory had to offer for this car, even if I add them.
I Have :
- Sport steering wheel
- Rally gauges
- Bucket seats
- Center console
- Concert sound
- Power windows
- Power locks
- Power trunk release
- Trunk light
- Hood light
- Aluminum hood
- Aluminum core support
- Aluminum front bumper support
- Aluminum rear bumper support
- Air conditioning
- Compass / Temperature rear view mirror
- Cruise control ( I may delete this for a cleaner under hood appearance - we'll see once it starts going back together )

I Need :
- Aluminum rear drums ( I've located a couple sets, but just have not been satisfied enough to pull the trigger )
- Deluxe dome light ( The ones I see in the J-yard, are too pitted ) ** Anybody have a good one they would like to donate to this project?? **
- Power seat track ( If I can find a good unit for a fair price ) ** Anybody ??

Things I will add for a better driving experience :
- Tinted windows
- LED lighting ( interior & exterior )
- 403 engine ( mildly modified )
- All frame braces
- Speed rated 18" tires
- 1" drop suspension
- Dual piston Blazer front brakes

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
James,
You're getting good at this parts finding and acquisition thing. ;)
You know about having the speedo re-calibrated don't you?

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor