PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice score on the trailer hitch, James.. I'm envious.
You never come across a full hitch in the junkyards. It's usually the typical bumper hitches which my car had previously.
I like that you're accumulating all the cool parts before hand. It makes it fun when it comes time to reassemble the car.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Well, I probably could have painted the frame today, but did not. It warmed up to 66 degrees, but the morning started at 37 degrees, and I had already made plans to go to the J-yard today. It was 50% off today. I was going for the 2 Dr Blazer rear sway bar, but they didn't have one, so that didn't happen either... They usually have them, and I was just waiting so I could buy it for $11. Well, in my opinion I got something better. Trailer hitch. I have been wanting one for a while now to use a rear frame brace, and a cargo carrier. I will never tow anything with the car. In 5 years of hunting G Body parts in the yards, I have never come across one. They had an 84 Cutlass in the yard. Mine for $12.
View attachment 136993
You can see the chain "ring" is bent. I will remove them for a cleaner look, and they will not be necessary, since I'm not towing. To be cleaned and painted soon...

I also picked up the NAPA Monte SS steering box. I sure hope this is a correct quick ratio box. I'm skeptical, but it was listed as the correct box w/ Z65 sport suspension.
These are $141 at my local store. Lifetime warranty... I also dug a Jeep steering shaft, and GP frame brace out of my stash.
View attachment 137005
Now my car is a 78 ( splined column ), but I have (5) steering columns ( splined, DD, Manual & Automatic ) so I have options. Worst case... I weld the proper U-joint to the Jeep shaft, or use the best original G Body shaft that I have.
Do you happen to have the part number for the steering box?

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The NAPA 88-277101 should be equivalent to GM #7843135 if they rebuilt it right.

There's a myth I heard about MCSS gear boxes that they were somehow the hot ticket and were somehow better or quicker than the 442 box. I don't understand that one. The 2-door 83-88 Sport/HD/F41 suspension G-body cars all share the same exact production part number of 7843135. If there were any differences at all, it would be a different part number. Which is odd, because NAPA lists this as a direct fit for a Z65 Monte ss, but not a Cutlass. WTF.

Unfortunately, these rebuilders don't care if it's the sport suspension or not. If it's an 800 series it's an 800 series, thus, it fits. In the box it goes. Casting numbers could be the same, but the guts may be a tad different. Have to say, $141 isn't a bad price for a rebuild. Rebuilding them isn't cost prohibitive. If you have a good set of spanner wrenches, a kinda large flat blade screwdriver, a mallet, some bent scribe tools for removing that end cap ring, a pitman arm puller, seal drivers, and some patience, you can get a good rebuild kit and redo your own. You could probably do it with some even more rudimentary tools, but if you have 'em, use 'em. It takes a bit of skill, but it's not super difficult. Just keep your balls in the right order! :) Gates and ACDelco rebuild kits share darn near the same p/n. Gates is 350430. ACDelco just adds a 36- in front of it. (36-350430). About 25 bucks free ship with prime from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2SDGY/?tag=gbody-20

Here's pics of the box I'm using. It's a fast box. I only paid $200 for this one.

NOS steering box.jpg

NOS steering box 1.jpg

NOS steering box 2.jpg

NOS steering box 3.jpg

NOS steering box 4.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I could not agree more. That's why I'm skeptical. But like you said...$141 for a rebuilt box with a lifetime warranty... It's clean, and has new seals. I'll be sure to post feedback when I get it on the road.

Reactions: 7 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you check lock to lock on that steery box yet to see if you got what you think it should be?

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Not yet, but that's the plan. Gotta replace a section of fence at the house. Hoping to get to the shop on Saturday, and test it.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Not much to report. Had too much to do the last couple days, including building a 80 foot section of fence. BUT, I did get the Blazer rear sway bar. 2002 Blazer 2 door, with all hardware $ 22.81. I cleaned up all the hardware on the wire wheel. The bushings are still in great shape, and will be reused. I'm making my own end links. It's in nice shape.
IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

Reactions: 9 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Frame is painted!! Anyone who has stripped their car down to a bare frame, knows what a relief it is to get to this point. I can finally start to reassemble the suspension, brakes, and steering. I have $130 invested in primer, paint, and wire wheels.
IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

While waiting for the paint to dry, I got the rear sway bar, trailer hitch, GP front frame brace, and jounce bars sanded. Hoping to get those painted tomorrow.
I also received the F Body 34mm hollow front sway bar today. Thanks Paul! It's one more of my weight saving items for the car.
IMG_1436.JPG

You can see the hole, which all hollow sway bars have.
IMG_1437.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor