PROJECT " LAID BACK 2 " - 1978 SALON 2 DOOR AEROBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Do you warranty these thru the manufacturer?
Yes. I even printed a copy of the listing from Amazon’s website. Since this will not be a daily driver, hopefully they will last 10 years.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Yes. I even printed a copy of the listing from Amazon’s website. Since this will not be a daily driver, hopefully they will last 10 years.
Thanks for the tip. I purchased a couple too. I daily mine in the summer. I'll let you know on the quality.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Lift is here and installed. Some of you guys have already seen it in the "What did you do to your shop today?" thread.
IMG_2232.JPG

Finally got around to cutting, and installing the coils springs. Moog #5660 with a half coil removed. An "inside the coil" type of compressor was used to install these springs. If you didn't know, installing coil springs into a bare chassis can be tough with no weight on the frame. You go to jack up the lower control arm to attach the spindle, and with no opposing force ( motor / body ) on the frame, it makes it hard to attach the spindle. You can see in the pic, I compressed the coil 2" and had no trouble at all getting the spindle attached. The key is to get the spring as short as possible so you can push up on the lower control arm to attach the spindle.
IMG_2221.JPG

Spindles attached.
IMG_2225.JPG

I removed the ABS wiring from the Detroit Axle hubs, and installed the Riff Raff greaseable zerk fittings.
IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

Got new u-joints. Going to install these, and paint the driveshaft in the next few days.
IMG_2212.JPG

I have made (2) trips to the machine shop lately, and they have started on my motor. I should have it back in (3) weeks. Hoping for the best 🤞.

Reactions: 7 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
When I did coils on my Crown Vic, same design, I did them easily with no compressor and no fear for my life. You think you could have gotten them in if you had more weight on the front? I'll be doing coils at some point in the Monte myself, so want to be mentally prepared for whatever lie ahead

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
When I did coils on my Crown Vic, same design, I did them easily with no compressor and no fear for my life. You think you could have gotten them in if you had more weight on the front? I'll be doing coils at some point in the Monte myself, so want to be mentally prepared for whatever lie ahead
The spring compressor was used because I had no opposing weight on the frame. I have done this a couple times in the past while doing frame off restorations, and at no point was I afraid. Tips - lubricate the threaded shaft of the compressor before, and during use. Operate the tool with a 1/2" hand ratchet, DO NOT use an air impact, as you lose the "feel" of the tool, and you can strip the threads on the shaft. There are other ways to do this job - ratchet straps around the frame & a floor jack. Strapping the frame to the floor, if you work in a body shop.. I'm not going into those scenarios. The way I do it is easy, and in my opinion... safe.

Reactions: 6 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Got the other side (driver) parking brake cable.

IMG_2271.JPG

Last weekend I installed new AC Delco u-joints in the driveshaft. Used my Bernzomatic hand held torch to melt the glue out of the u joints. Then used an air hammer to remove the old u joints. Cleaned the holes with a scotchbrite pad, and used the vice to press in the new joints. No press needed.

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

Today I cleaned the drive shaft on the wire wheel, gave it (2) coats of primer, then (3) coats of chassis paint. I polished the yoke on the wire wheel. Turned out great. I have $25 in this renewed drive shaft.

IMG_2270.JPG

Never mind the plant hiding in the garage.^^^

IMG_2269.JPG

I cleaned the original pitman arm on the wire wheel, and painted it also.

IMG_2272.JPG

And new shoes !! US Mags "Rambler" Front: 17x7 w/ 225-45-17 Road Hugger GT Ultra tires. Rear: 17x8 w/ 245-45-17 Road Hugger GT Ultra tires. ( I still have the 18" Camaro Rallys ).

IMG_2259.JPG

I have a Discount Tire at the front of my neighborhood, and got the tires from them. They did a great job, and did not f-up my wheels. They gave me nice chrome valve stems, and since the back side of the rim is black, they used black weights. (y)

IMG_2264.JPG

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

• Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 17 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Gorgeous wheels!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY

Thanks for the tip. I purchased a couple too. I daily mine in the summer. I'll let you know on the quality.
Guys, not trying to scare anyone but hope y'all have better luck with the Detroit axle hubs than I did. Mine only lasted a couple hundred miles before making noise!!!! I thought I had a clamping issue with the caliper, but it was the hubs.
I went to Napa and forked out loot on Napa house brand which are actually SKF units.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor