shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I didn't realize these hoods were available either. That's good news. Seems like everyone has been looking for them.
Sounds like some good progress on the car too.
I hope you found a new shop to keep the side jobs going. There sure is a need for builders and fabricators like you everywere.
And you can't make the 78-80 Grand Prix not pretty, 2nd best looking G body there is IMO:)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I would rather have had one of your GAs but as you can see I have many GP parts to use up!

Mocked up the rear decklid.

Yes, picture 6'2" , 250 pound of me closing the deck lid from the inside so I can mark where to drill the mounting brackets. Not a pretty sight. LOL

I scaled a few of the parts:
Front bumper 65 lbs Fiberglass 4 lbs
Rear bumper 57 lbs Fiberglass 4 lbs
Decklid 47 lbs Fiberglass 7 lbs

Hood 75 lbs (swag) Glass is 13 lbs

The front bumper made a huge difference, -86.67 lbs from the front, + 21.67 to the rear. That's just shy of a 110 lb change to front/rear bias.

All this weight loss is raising the car back up!

I knew it would that's why I am planning on drop spindles/springs last.

I will try and attach of a copy of a spreadsheet I made years ago to document/calculate how removing and moving weight changes bias.

Found the r/f shock blown, installed some "experienced" Edelbrock IASs. Between the shocks and the weight loss helping the weak front springs, front feels so much better. No more pogostick. Still need to replace the sloppy centerlink.

The l/r shock feels off a bit also, will swap in some "road tested" IAS shocks.

That's it for now.

Monday go back to moving my old shop. Argh, felt real good turning wrenches again.

Attachments

• WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION g PDF.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: 1 user

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Not much to report, I have until Sunday to clear out of my old place so that is keeping me busy/tired.

Did stumble across some long lost parts so that's good.

One of the things I found was a blacked out d/s headlight bezel to match the p/s.

The car no longer looks like it has a black eye!

Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
looks like you're making good progress, hate the reason why you have the time to do it... hopefully you'll find something good soon!

I never really liked the looks of those GP's, but this one has me intrigued... looking forward to seeing the progress on this!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Looks good, I also have never seen a 78'-80' GP with fiberglass parts installed and am surprised they even make them.
If you are going to be street driving this I would consider adding at least aluminum reinforcement under your fiberglass bumpers for the added safety.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
gar 2.jpg
gar 1.jpg
gar.jpg
Worked my butt off today as a carpenter, obviously not on the car but making it possible TO work on the car.

Where was a blank wall this am, are now, stocked shelves, 90% organized tools and lighting mounted. Just need to finish some wiring for lights and charging station.

Still have lots to unpack and organize but now can work on the car much easier.

The plate was made by my youngest daughter when she was 6. She just got her drivers permit, ouch, age creeps up on you!

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Excellent job on the shop! One thing that's good about cleaning out is that it makes reorganizing MUCH easier. Looks like your carpentry time wasn't wasted.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
g center.jpg
Decided to split time between unpacking/organizing (work) and wrenching on the car (fun).

The steering input for the wheel felt more like a "suggestion" and not a strong suggestion at that!

The car has it's original centrelink that is shot, so installed a new one that has been on a shelf for years. .

Turned out to be a bit of a project to replace since the inner tie rod end would just spin. After using some wood as a wedge and a prybar was able to use the centerlink against itself to get them free.

Installing the new one was just as fun since the original links used a locking nuts (no castellated nuts ) , used the same procedure in reverse.

Finished by doing a grease gun rebuild to the rest of the steering.

The centerlink had a small amount of play on the idler side but I could move the pitman arm side 3/8" side to side and 1/4 when pulling up. Scary!

Got in a turned the wheel, clunk clunk.

Short version, will be doing the steering box tomorrow. Glad I saved the quick ratio one out of the old wagon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor