BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 12 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Agreed.
Guys, I don’t mind having a couple of laughs, but please remember this is my build thread. Let’s try and be at least a little bit respectful.
Thanks.
FtAN.gif

UnrealisticBlankHoneybee-small.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm surprised that you're using a DA at this point, I figured it would be all by hand on a block. Interesting, the end result looks very nice so far. And keep in mind I'm no body guy.

Are painting this in your garage, or are going to find a booth?

It's great to see you getting this close to completion - keep it going - I can't wait to see the end result :):)

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'm surprised that you're using a DA at this point, I figured it would be all by hand on a block. Interesting, the end result looks very nice so far. And keep in mind I'm no body guy.

It's great to see you getting this close to completion - keep it going - I can't wait to see the end result :):)
I'm sure D will tell you. In production work there's no time for a block. So after 30 years you don't need one as much for the same result but I won't recommend that for a beginner.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks Jim, it feels incredible to be this close to completion.

As stated a couple of times in the updates, I’ve secured a booth. I’m borrowing our trailer from work to get the car there and back, so that’ll save me a couple of bucks over hiring a flatdeck (car isn’t currently street legal without bumpers or signal/marker lights). I spoke with the booth owner yesterday, and the car will definitely be going in bright and early Saturday morning the 30th.
😎

As for using the DA at this point, that was a conscious decision on my part. All the sanding has been in straight lines on blocks up to this point, using the DA carefully will remove all the straight line scratches. But as Clutch pointed out, it’s gotta be done with a great deal of care. One moment’s lapse of attention, and you can create problems. All it takes is for the edge of the pad to dig into a curved surface, or put flat spots on a concave/convex one. Experience and discretion is the key here. In fact there’s parts that I just simply haven’t/won’t sand with the DA because the risk is too great.

Once done with 320 on the DA, I went back to the blocks for the 400 wet. This serves to further refine the surface but also to double check my work on the DA. Any bad spots created by the DA will show up by wet block sanding with the 400.

D.

• Informative
Reactions: 10 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'll pop in for my semi annual "looks great" post and go back to oogling over your attention to detail for the next few months :)

I'll just have 250+ pages to re-read to learn how to do body work better when I get around to painting my junk

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
As for using the DA at this point, that was a conscious decision on my part. All the sanding has been in straight lines on blocks up to this point, using the DA carefully will remove all the straight line scratches. But as Clutch pointed out, it’s gotta be done with a great deal of care. One moment’s lapse of attention, and you can create problems. All it takes is for the edge of the pad to dig into a curved surface, or put flat spots on a concave/convex one. Experience and discretion is the key here. In fact there’s parts that I just simply haven’t/won’t sand with the DA because the risk is too great.
Once done with 320 on the DA, I went back to the blocks for the 400 wet. This serves to further refine the surface but also to double check my work on the DA. Any bad spots created by the DA will show up by wet block sanding with the 400.
D.
have you considered using an interface pad with your DA?the're cheap and are worthwhile to have.

Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I started using a da on the weekends. I block dry and finish with 800 on a da with an interface pad. The scratch pattern from a da is superior than wet actually. When I have to clear headlights I prefer it.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'm glad we nailed down a spray date. Eventually, he's going to F it all up with too much sanding. I do the same shirt with drywall- sand it to death and remud it then repeat!. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor