BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
have you considered using an interface pad with your DA?the're cheap and are worthwhile to have.

The interface pad is a good idea. But I haven’t used my DA for any real paying refinishing work since the early 2000’s. So it doesn’t really make much sense to buy one now. When I use the DA nowadays it’s as a workhorse stripping old crappy paint off these old cars. Not much finesse required there.

And now that this one is nearly finished, same story. I’ll keep it in mind for the future tho, because you just never know.

I'm glad we nailed down a spray date. Eventually, he's going to F it all up with too much sanding. I do the same shirt with drywall- sand it to death and remud it then repeat!. :p

Ha!
Been there, done that but with body filler. Some panels and repairs you just feel like you’re sanding off everything you just put on.

If I’m gonna F anything up, it’s probably gonna be the final coat of clear.
Just to pi$$ me off and create more sanding.
:soapbox:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The interface pad is a good idea. But I haven’t used my DA for any real paying refinishing work since the early 2000’s. So it doesn’t really make much sense to buy one now. When I use the DA nowadays it’s as a workhorse stripping old crappy paint off these old cars. Not much finesse required there.

And now that this one is nearly finished, same story. I’ll keep it in mind for the future tho, because you just never know.

Ha!
Been there, done that but with body filler. Some panels and repairs you just feel like you’re sanding off everything you just put on.

If I’m gonna F anything up, it’s probably gonna be the final coat of clear.
Just to pi$$ me off and create more sanding.
:soapbox:
Just remember that it’s easier to make a dry panel flat than it is to block out runs.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just remember that it’s easier to make a dry panel flat than it is to block out runs.

IF you have enough material on there to work with.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i get that
It's like a lot of things,some guys swear by the older big coarse pattern da's for everything and others can see the point of having a fine pattern da that can be used in a refinishing/polishing application.the painter da's are nice for finishing after all else's blocked out etc.etc.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, this is a very different update than I thought it was gonna be tonight. It seems the Rktpwrd luck, or rather “lack there of” has struck again.

On what was supposed to quite literally be the very last night and panel of sanding, disaster has struck. All I had left to finish the car completely off was DA and wet sand the driver’s door and fender. The door DA’d out fine, no issues, but when I got to the marker light cutouts on the fender I noticed it was sanding funny. There were a couple of high spots just around the very edges of the openings. This baffled me at first, because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this area blocked out perfectly the last time I worked on it.

On close examination, I found the filler had separated from the metal right at the edges in two spots causing the high spots I was seeing.
FML.
I can only surmise that there must’ve been some exposed filler right at the edges that absorbed water while wet sanding either the hood or header panel and swelled. The damage now has already been done, so might as well rip that scab right off and see how far it goes:

DA268863-B087-4F07-9DF2-E5DA3A62021F.jpeg

Yep, you’re seeing that right, no joke and no photoshop. I’m so beyond pi$$ed off right now, you have no idea. Now, instead of being able to write a triumphant update proclaiming how happy I am that the car is finally 100% ready for paint, now I get to go back to square one and grind this area down to bare metal and start over again.
More filler work, more block sanding, more priming, and more primer block sanding.
FFS.

I’m about ready to just push this heap out into the alley, throw a lit match on the seat and walk away.

As I write this, I’ve had a couple of hours for the reality of the situation to sink in, and I know I’ll persevere and get it fixed up. But damn, what a setback. And on the very last panel, and on what was supposed to be the very last night.
So for the next 20 or so hours, I’m gonna pout, kick rocks and curse the gods and the universe. And try to resist the urge to have me a mighty fine car-b-q.

I’ll swallow my pride and start on fixing it tomorrow night. But for now, let’s focus on the good stuff and leave this on a positive note shall we?

The rest of it:

C1E0695B-5EA9-4DAF-9400-383CA0F511ED.jpeg

05C6FA83-8029-4C60-8EB8-D47AED7B94D0.jpeg

282D1E89-7745-4406-9714-6CE0B43950B5.jpeg

87DD4F98-BE12-432C-B629-C76093294707.jpeg

3B519D33-E476-4CDE-98E3-AD3AB2F74E41.jpeg

713287C0-DA19-4980-91B0-B6A0703B6D16.jpeg

85158A40-ED85-41C8-A28A-8797F955AAE2.jpeg

I’m off to lick my wounds and quite possibly shed a tear in a beer. Or 10.

D.
😕

• Sad
  • Agree
Reactions: 19 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Oh ... so you are human ?!?! J / K !! I put a splash of Rye in my coffee this morning to help with the mourning.

Yes it's a setback, and it sucks. But it's fixable and you do not have to rely on anyone else to fix it.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Now, compare this fix to the doors, or that incorrigible sunroof. Which would you rather re-tackle?

I get the frustration, I surely do. But you've got ONE MORE fix. It's a journey. God forbid you get a door ding after it's painted. THAT'S something to cry in a beer about.

You got this. Now, get back out on that field, kick that field goal, win the game, and hit the showers! (Turna wants to watch) Sorry, had to throw that in there. :LOL:

Reactions: 8 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Oh ... so you are human ?!?! J / K !! I put a splash of Rye in my coffee this morning to help with the mourning.

Yes it's a setback, and it sucks. But it's fixable and you do not have to rely on anyone else to fix it.

FYI - I was beginning to wonder.

D - these are the things that make it worth it when it's done. I'm sure you know that, but the pain and perseverance that it creates is what makes it even better .... in the end of course.

Have one on me :)

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor