BUILD THREAD Project Olds Cool (Recognition!!)

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
On the forum here, it shows an Instagram login link, but when I click on it, there are Donovan's pics and video. Great video! No, I don't have an Instagram account. Or any other social media for that matter. My only social media are forums like this one.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hey everyone, welcome to the documentation of Project "Olds Cool", a(nother) 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais of mine.

First, a little about the name:
In my own quirky way, I have a bit of a soft spot for puns. Everyone thinks they're cheap and low brow humour, but I tend to appreciate the thought and intelligence that goes into a good pun.

I came up with the name "Olds Cool" several years ago out of the blue thinking about the shortened version of Oldsmobile, "Olds".

In case it's not already painfully obvious, "Olds Cool" said quickly sounds like "old school". A perfect reference to the direction and build for this car, not to mention my personal experiences. Being in my mid-forties, I tend to be somewhat "old school" myself!
:rolleyes:

As many of you are already familiar with on here, my pride and joy (and sometimes the bane of my existence) is another 1980 Olds Cutlass, affectionately referred to as "The Juggernaut".
While the 'Naut has and will continue to be the main focus of my automotive passion for the foreseeable future, after 7 or 8 years of having it off the road and missing out on a large part of the hobby, I was jonesing to get back behind the wheel of a G body again.

Browsing through the local online classifieds one evening, I came across an ad for the car. It was a white 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais 2 door coupe, and was listed for $1000 CDN obo. The pictures of the car looked remarkably good, so I figured at the very least it beared further investigation for that price.

After contacting and arranging a time to meet the seller, I went to go inspect the car. Not being my first picnic and well aware of the trouble areas on G bodies, I gave it a thorough going over. To be honest, my first impressions were pretty disappointing. While areas like the floor pans and rear framerails were good, the car had been neglected for quite some time.

The car had been poorly repainted at some point in its life, the finish was not only dull and oxidized, but every square in of it was covered in tree sap from being parked in his back yard. The driver's door had the typical sag, the vinyl roof was torn and tattered, the interior was filthy, the carpet faded almost white from the sun, headlights burnt out and so on.

Being an original Calais model tho, the car was extremely well optioned. Buckets, console, rallye pac gauges and steering wheel, air, tilt, cruise, power trunk release etc. The rallye wheels even still had all their trim rings and center caps.

Not wanting to offend the seller by not at least test driving the car, we set out for a spin. Yet more disappointments awaited here. While smooth and reliable during part-throttle cruising, opening of the fours rewarded the me with horrible surging and loud back firing through the carburetor. Hmm. Not good.

Returning to the seller's house, I reluctantly offered him my "best price".
$800, take it or leave it.
I figured I could get at least that back out of it in parts if I had to. Knowing full well that the car needed some work, the seller accepted and the deal was struck. As a bonus however, the seller included a brand new carpet kit still in the box in the trunk. A lovely parting gift I suppose!

Here is the car as it arrived at my garage that afternoon:

View attachment 59387

View attachment 59388

View attachment 59389

View attachment 59390

View attachment 59391

View attachment 59392

Interior:
View attachment 59394

View attachment 59393

The car pretty much screamed "old man's car", with its white wall tires, cheeseball mudflaps, body side impact strips, and fender mounted cornering lamp option. The car wasn't home 10 minutes, and the mudflaps and impact strips were outta there!

"Hmm. Maybe I can work with this "old man's car vibe" in my favour. This might make a great sleeper...!"

In addition to the somewhat rare fender mounted cornering lamp option, this car also had an Astro Roof, the first factory installed one I had ever seen on a G body. Better yet, it still worked and didn't leak!

View attachment 59395

View attachment 59397

That's it for now guys, to be continued...

Donovan
That’s a nice Olds you have! Quite reminds me of my 2 door Delta 88 when I was in Edmonton.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
On the forum here, it shows an Instagram login link, but when I click on it, there are Donovan's pics and video. Great video! No, I don't have an Instagram account. Or any other social media for that matter. My only social media are forums like this one.
This is what I get. And clicking on it does nothing for me. It wants me to log in. Of course, I don't have FB either, so, SOL.

Instagram log in.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This is what I get. And clicking on it does nothing for me. It wants me to log in. Of course, I don't have FB either, so, SOL.

View attachment 182875

I blew past that garbage and scrolled right down to his video and I don't have any social media accounts.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Weird. This is what I get.
1630499096091.png

It is asking me to log in, but I can see everything and click through all the pics. Ah well...

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I can't get on to see anything either
I'm not tech savvy. I'm really old school.... 😆

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Maybe it's all about blocking the southern contingent. Those who exhibit conservative tendencies. Maybe I fly under the radar. Now I'm exposed........... LOL

• Haha

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Soooooo…
Some interesting turns of events around here the past couple days.

We’re approaching the midway point of September here very quickly, and I’ve been seriously thinking about finding winter storage for Olds Cool for the next 6-7 months. Obviously both of my G bodies fit quite comfortably in the Skunkworks, but it makes working on them very cramped very quickly.

With Olds Cool now about 98% complete, I’m gearing up to resurrect The Juggernaut come October 1 or so. To be able to have the room I need to start work on it again, Olds Cool has to find a temporary new home. I’ve been looking around and pricing out storage units around town here, and wow. Talk about eye opening.

Prices range anywhere from $250 a month on the low end to $500 or more for a 10’x20’ unit depending on options like heat, power, ground level access etc. sh*t gets expensive real quick.

I come home early the other day and open the garage door to drop off the spare wheel I just had machined, when my elderly neighbor from across the alley comes walking up. He has 2 garages, one in the front, and one in the back that both have old cars in them. 3 to be exact, a ‘28 Essex in the front, and these two, a ‘57 Pontiac sedan and ‘50 Chevy sedan in the back.

41BD41DA-0C43-4103-841F-03769028FC8D.jpeg

He then proceeds to inform me that his health is rapidly failing, and he needs to ship the Pontiac and the Essex out to a cousin in Ontario.

Within the next two weeks.

He throws me a generous offer of $500 to help him get the cars back together (and hopefully running), to which I politely decline the monetary compensation, but agree to help him out as much as I can. Then my mischievous mind got to turning - if he’s shipping cars out east, he’s going to have a couple of vacant spots in his garages!

So I hit him up with the proposition after dinner tonight as I was helping him with the ‘57, and he agreed without hesitation. His cars have to be gone by September 28, and I’m looking to start storing Olds Cool by October 1. It’s a flukey match made in heaven. I get free storage for the car for 6 or 7 months, he gets his cars reassembled and out of his garage, and he keeps his $500. And Olds Cool is literally across the alley from me!

1055E8BC-3AF0-4762-A3BC-C1B865625714.jpeg

Win-win-win.

Anyways, that’s my important news for the week, here’s another look at the Pontiac and the ‘50 Chevy. I’ll try and snag a pic of the Essex the next time I see it, it’s by far the nicest and most complete of the 3.

EFBCC321-8564-4029-ABC9-2EFA0FEE1798.jpeg

0E2C2427-AD2B-470F-9060-ED42602C5AB1.jpeg

Oh, and I’ve already been able to help him out with a few things he was struggling with, tonight we got the vacuum operated windshield wiper motor reinstalled, the horns remounted, his upper and lower radiator hoses installed and tightened down, and the rad filled with coolant. I drilled and tapped the fine thread holes in the floor to accept the more common coarse thread bolts for the bench seat, and a couple other little tasks.

Now to try and convince him not to try running it on the 15 year old stale gas that’s still in the tank…
😖

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 20 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Crazy to think fun car season is winding down. Feels like it just started!

Sometimes happy accidents happen and you were in the right place at the right time :)

Yay juggernaut updates :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor