BUILD THREAD Project Over The Top - Malibu T-Top Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Dale never ran a Malibu. I don't even recall ever seeing a malibu run in winston cup back then.
Dale didn’t run these either, but they exist. The tribute car look is what I want to avoid.
1599444745532.jpeg

1599444778944.jpeg

1599444833195.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
It is looking good. I have to ask though because it is bothering me. What is up with the dent in the left quarter panel? I thought it was almost ready for paint. If you don't want to talk about it I understand. Looks awesome otherwise.

The dents in the right side are from when I misjudged the snowblower on my tractor some years back, and are two smaller ones not one large one. I told the fab guy to leave those until paint. The one on the left quarter came from??? Don’t remember it originally and nobody will claim it now. It looks worse in the pictures than in real life. There are a number of small dings and imperfections that showed up now that it’s in semi-gloss black.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
The dents in the right side are from when I misjudged the snowblower on my tractor some years back, and are two smaller ones not one large one. I told the fab guy to leave those until paint. The one on the left quarter came from??? Don’t remember it originally and nobody will claim it now. It looks worse in the pictures than in real life. There are a number of small dings and imperfections that showed up now that it’s in semi-gloss black.
There are three dents in my hood I am not proud of. I was pulling injectors out of a diesel head by my car. The slide hammer slid out of my hands in the air and landed on my hood. It probably will require a new hood to fix it. So the body work is not done yet? Sorry for high jack. I just had to know.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I thought it was fairly obvious that the bodywork hasn’t been done on the car yet, it’s just been dipped/EPMD coated to protect from flash rusting after the major metal work.

That being said, I think it’s looking incredible already as is. Loving the direction of the build and the progress, as I’ve said before this is my current favourite to watch. Keep up the stellar work!

P.S - the car is practically begging to be painted black, and I love the fact that you’re trying to avoid yet another Dale tribute.

Reactions: 8 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
There are three dents in my hood I am not proud of. I was pulling injectors out of a diesel head by my car. The slide hammer slid out of my hands in the air and landed on my hood. It probably will require a new hood to fix it. So the body work is not done yet? Sorry for high jack. I just had to know.
No worries. The feeling you have right after something like that is the worst! I’m usually not sleeping much the first night because I’m so pissed at myself.

I was out of my league on the cosmetic fabrication for the t-tops, and my plan all along was was to farm it out. Things worked out a little different and I had the guy do the mini tubs and some rust repair too. I had him stop at true body work, just because I plan to drive it some before paint and I’m sure it’ll get some more dings and scars on it while completing the rest of the build.

Reactions: 6 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I thought it was fairly obvious that the bodywork hasn’t been done on the car yet, it’s just been dipped/EPMD coated to protect from flash rusting after the major metal work.

That being said, I think it’s looking incredible already as is. Loving the direction of the build and the progress, as I’ve said before this is my current favourite to watch. Keep up the stellar work!

P.S - the car is practically begging to be painted black, and I love the fact that you’re trying to avoid yet another Dale tribute.
I appreciate the compliments!!! A wise man once told me “the car will tell you what it needs”. The more I think about it, the more I think the car is telling me something.....

I took this picture in February because I liked the paint. Maybe it’s another sign. I’m going to shoot an email to the guy that did my renderings and see if he can whip out a couple new variants for me. Stay tuned!

83FB703E-ECC9-49DE-8001-94B3B7063370.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I appreciate the compliments!!! A wise man once told me “the car will tell you what it needs”. The more I think about it, the more I think the car is telling me something.....

I took this picture in February because I liked the paint. Maybe it’s another sign. I’m going to shoot an email to the guy that did my renderings and see if he can whip out a couple new variants for me. Stay tuned!

View attachment 156557
That was my original two tone scheme for the Cutlass, but with either an orange or blue pinstripe. My bodyguy was hesitant as he'd never done a two tone, and painting the car black he was worried since he screwed up some on the bodywork, but it's driving now and most haven't noticed.
Those two colors look so good together!

Reactions: 4 users

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
That was my original two tone scheme for the Cutlass, but with either an orange or blue pinstripe. My bodyguy was hesitant as he'd never done a two tone, and painting the car black he was worried since he screwed up some on the bodywork, but it's driving now and most haven't noticed.
Those two colors look so good together!
The color of you cutlass is awesome! I’ll go with either a red or gold pinstripe to be consistent with the colors in the exterior emblems.

Funny how you notice all the little imperfections on your own car, but most people never realize they exist.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor