Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
boatshoes said:
Well, I was hoping in a month. But I broke my foot so I'm looking at 2+ months of this boot :(
IMG_20130411_164127_zps1232cea8.jpg

Well what did ya go and do that for??

GBoDYon4s

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
So,CA.
That sucks,but that gives you more time to plot out perfection...keep up the great work BTW those gauges are sick,what did they run you ,if u have a link i would appreciate it thanks

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
GBoDYon4s said:
That sucks,but that gives you more time to plot out perfection...keep up the great work BTW those gauges are sick,what did they run you ,if u have a link i would appreciate it thanks

The top gauges are Viair gauges for the suspension. The lower ones are cheap Equus gauges from Summit.

Trying to finish all the small stuff. Got a speedo cable in, Lokar column shift cable installed, all the dash is wired now.
I added a plug to my old headlight harness so all the lights work now.
I put on a drivers mirror ( I don't know if I like it)
I stuffed the wiper motor back in there, my hood springs won't fit though because of the inner fenders. I'll have to use a prop rod
Installed throttle cable and kickdown, did the third brakelight, wired the electric choke, mounted a battery, etc...
I ordered tubular upper front control arms because I cant set caster and camber without arm hitting the headers :blam:
I am about a week away from starting the motor, just need trans cooler lines.
I never painted the bumpers so I'll do that next week and get them installed.
I'm adding another 3 gallon air tank for the suspension in the smuggler so I have some more time to goof around ( I ended up fitting a 5 gallon in the smugglers cabin, it's just not quite enough)
I should be driving this car by June :D

There are a LOT of things I want to re-do differently, but for right now I just want to drive it. I have NEVER driven this car

IMG_20130406_181718_zps12a331b2.jpg

IMG_20130504_071912_zps386e8067.jpg

IMG_20130504_071933_zps79ac24a3.jpg

IMG_20130421_153534_zps476caf01.jpg

IMG_20130414_150925_zps39bf5068.jpg

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
coming along niCEly 8) what third brake light are you running/looks exactly like the "02 cavalier"one i cut in,and flush mounted in the top of mine??? those summit carbs are well worth the lil they ask for them huh?! i have the same one and love it!!!ALMOST,ALLLMOST!!! :wink:

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Comin along man, will be good to see it on the road, minor details can come later.
For hood support, you could later put gas shocks . Back when I had some for my normal opening fiberglass hood I welded a stud mount to the factory hood spring mount so the outer part you see would be flush with no nut, & ran the shocks forward to the inner fenders.
Possible suggestion for mirrors, I'm looking into new Camaro manual replacement mirrors. The tyc abs plastic ones can be got for $40 each shipped.http://www.amazon.com/TYC-1310131-Chevr ... B005OK70O0
What's your thoughts on my suggestion of making (or buying) a low profile remote filter air cleaner like the pro-fab , having it like a showpiece when you pop the hood, & leaving your stock hood alone?
Ps ,I'm finally started my airride. almost finished the billet brackets for an edc York. Installed my gauges posted in suspension section . Upon shock research, decided after all to just go with ridetech shockwaves front , their smooth RQ shocks rear, &f9000 bags, making my own rear brackets. won't have the lift I wanted, but should ride proper & turn. Making an elaborate manual valve setup with simple ball valves, return springs & linkages. Thinking about 2 of the 7 gal harbor freight aluminum tanks rated at 160 psi shoved in my ps smugglers compartment. At the rate I'm going with work & hot weather approaching, you may still beat me to being the first to drive with airride.

One nice thing about your build, you started it based around the airride , I'm playing catchup. Yours has been an inspiration to me.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois
Thanks fellers.

JL, I'm excited to see your air suspension. When I got this elco I thought I would just bag it and be done. Now it's 1.5 years later and I still haven't finished the suspension :mrgreen:

LAX, the brakelight is from jc whitney, it was like $12 :D

Melman, I love your car. It makes me hate my own.

In the spirit of "I just want to drive this stupid thing", I got some work done. I had a crack in my 78 taillights so I picked up some newer ones on the cheap. I really wish these bumpers were chrome, maybe this winter.
Front bumper next

IMG_20130506_170542_zpse14a85ab.jpg

IMG_20130506_170610_zps1fc5e0ed.jpg

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Fit looks nice. Chrome probably would look better with your paint choice. Wonder if black would be an option also for your bumpers??? Also , just to mention, saw a 40's pickup with almost you color, though not flat, & a maroon as a 2nd color. blended nice.
Someone on ecc forum was asking about custom metal fenders recently, so I linked your build. Was exactly what he wanted to see, so your build has been an inspiration to others. :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor