Project "Sand Bagger"

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Re: Project "Bagging Rights"

WOW!!! thats looking sick!!! great job ( how many switches)?

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

I haven't touched the car this year yet, but that will hopefully change soon... Besides the air suspension, I have been working on the rest of the car also. I have the interior stripped minus the dash, but the dash will be coming out soon too.
I have been aquiring parts lately, mostly for the body work and interior work I plan on doing. I should be back at work on this car next week, so the rear suspesion should get done soon. I am notching the frame, but will not be cutting the bed floor. Look for updates by next weekend. :D

Also, I have bought some stuff from Gbodyparts.com and Mikesmontes.com, and received really high quality parts and fast shipping. I would recommend them to everyone.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

Collecting parts is considered progress. The rear brackets should be easy compared to the front, they do need to be offset away from frame. Please post dimensions you come up with.
Our dashes come off easier than I thought. Are you planning any aftermarket air?

IntrstlarOvrdrve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2012

I love it, been thinking about bagging mine for a while so I can get lower. It's funny to see another el camino owner coming from the VW scene.

I've owned a handful of mkII's..in fact I currently have 3 vw's..

1985cutlasssupreme

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2011
Bay Area , Ca
Re: Lets build a 78

boatshoes said:
OK, so the billets I have will be staying on it for awhile. The spindles are drop spindles belltech 2100. Picked them up on ebay for $120. I removed the front suspension today, and started to fit the bags. They are dominator 2600's. It looks as though when they are aired out they will hit the spring pocket. Its hard to capture in a picture. So I will be cutting the pocket out 1/2" all the way around. The bags are 7" diameter so a 6" diameter bag would be fine, and maybe these would be fine with no cutting too... But I want to roll aired out so a little cutting will do. Control arms will be cleaned up this week and new bushings will be installed. I decided to replace ball joints too so I will order those this weekend. Front should be done in the next 2 weeks.
DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Heres the difference in stock and 2" drop spindles
DSC_0038.jpg

Been working on building a pedal car for my 2 year old sons christmas present, some pinstriping and it will be done.
DSC_0044.jpg

I come from the vw scene, built a bunch of them. Here is my current daily Audi A4. Lots of work into it.
julycar001.jpg

Thats me in a nutshell, haha
that audi looks jdm as **** 8) i really like your taste in cars cant wait to see that elco done.

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

Thanks for the kind words guys. Quick post
upper mount
rearairbag010.jpg

rearairbag011.jpg

lower mount
rearairbag008.jpg

rearairbag005.jpg

frame touching axle
rearairbag007.jpg
Obviously I redid these mounts a few times, basically making them shorter and smaller.
My tires are hitting, the bag is very close to being fully compressed, and so is the shock.
I will work on cleaning all this stuff up and getting lines ran and then I'll post some stance shots. It is lower than the last pics I posted.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

do you like those bags better than the firestone for front and rears?

and how do you like the f9000 compared to the rear you used, what made you go with that instead?

boatshoes

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2011
Algonquin Illinois

I used Airlift bags because of a personal experience I had with a couple Airlift reps at a show. These bags are super durable, and the price was good. Alot of people run the F9000 bag, it's really just personal preference. But the performance will be similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor