Project: T Top Stop Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Watching this thread, my wifes GP TTops leak, I'm really afraid to see what's underneath. Looking at your pictures makes it not seem as bad as some that I've seen.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Watching this thread, my wifes GP TTops leak, I'm really afraid to see what's underneath. Looking at your pictures makes it not seem as bad as some that I've seen.

The interesting part to me was that I didn't have any water leaking in on the passenger side but i figure it is because all of the water was running down the A pillar, and that's not good either. The drivers side was leaky only after a heavy downpour or a long rain but it was in good shape, just weather strip failure. I have never done anything like this and I hope I get it right. The plan is to dry fit everything and get really familiar with all the pieces before final glue and goo.

Reactions: 1 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
The interesting part to me was that I didn't have any water leaking in on the passenger side but i figure it is because all of the water was running down the A pillar, and that's not good either. The drivers side was leaky only after a heavy downpour or a long rain but it was in good shape, just weather strip failure. I have never done anything like this and I hope I get it right. The plan is to dry fit everything and get really familiar with all the pieces before final glue and goo.

Check that a pillar real good if you haven’t already. They put foam in the base of them and it’ll rust them out.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Check that a pillar real good if you haven’t already. They put foam in the base of them and it’ll rust them out.

YIKES!! there is no indication anywhere along the A pillar or down by the hinges or any where in that area that there is an issue . everything is clean and solid looking there. Once I get the T-Tops done I was planning on spraying copious amounts of oil into the header and A pillars before reinstalling the trim.

Reactions: 1 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
YIKES!! there is no indication anywhere along the A pillar or down by the hinges or any where in that area that there is an issue . everything is clean and solid looking there. Once I get the T-Tops done I was planning on spraying copious amounts of oil into the header and A pillars before reinstalling the trim.

I had to feel around really good on the ones on my 82 GN unfortunately the more I rubbed I felt the foam from where the water ran down the pillar and just held the moisture. The later H-body cars like a delta 88 and Lesabre for example were really bad about rusty pillars because of this foam.

Reactions: 1 user

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
I had to feel around really good on the ones on my 82 GN unfortunately the more I rubbed I felt the foam from where the water ran down the pillar and just held the moisture. The later H-body cars like a delta 88 and Lesabre for example were really bad about rusty pillars because of this foam.
Is this from the top or the bottom and can you run a rod or something in there to clear out the foam? what about pouring some acetone down?

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Is this from the top or the bottom and can you run a rod or something in there to clear out the foam? what about pouring some acetone down?
Mine was at the bottom of the a pillar close to where it meets up with the firewall. If yours feels really solid I’m sure it will be fine

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Mine was at the bottom of the a pillar close to where it meets up with the firewall. If yours feels really solid I’m sure it will be fine
I certainly hope so. for a Canadian car it is very clean. the rust on the windshield header/ frame is really the only rust I have found on this car

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
Didn't have a ton of time this weekend to work on the T-top, but did get some stuff done. The main thing I got done is to scuff up and bond the front weatherstrip rail onto the header also filled in the gaps with butyl

1582553934985.png

1582553960749.png

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor