Project Thread... my regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

love.those.g's

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Thought I'd post a little update... the car is hibernating for the winter... might tinker a little, but it is outside and I don't like working in the cold. I do need to go back thru the distributor and shim it because there is a lot of up-and-down play in the shaft, and I am looking at replacing those darn M/T valve covers with stock style covers because it is still sucking oil even with the altoids tin in there... I would totally trade the M/T covers for a good set of covers with stock style baffles if anyone in the SE Wisconsin area was interested in them...

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
Nice build man that color combo is nice, I want to get rid of my holley too and get a Q jet but the car is leaving for good since I just sold it. Keep up the good work.

love.those.g's

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Been a while since I've posted... thought I'd give you guys an update. Drove the car some this spring, but it's parked for now because I popped a wheel cylinder and just don't have the time or money to fix it right now (needs new shoes and hardware too)... so the rusty truck has been pressed back into service. Getting married in a month and a half... I have this feeling that I won't be doing anything to the car until that's done...

I was able to get to the track earlier this spring. Reaction time was much better, but I lost a few tenths from last time (holley last time vs. quadrajet this time). MPH was pretty much the same. Feels strong off the line but seems to level off about 1/2 track or so, when it hits third. I really need better heads.

I just picked up a set of rusty edelbrock valve covers with stock style baffles and cleaned/ sanded/ repainted them semi-gloss black. Gonna paint the air cleaner the same to match. I don't really like chrome anyway...

love.those.g's

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
SE Wisconsin
The new look:
normal_101_1973.JPG

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Looks nice. I think I'm going to do the same with my air cleaner after my engine swap since it's all black anyway.

love.those.g's

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Thanks! I really like the blacked out look. Hopefully I will be done with oil fouled plugs for good now...

Started tearing into the rear brakes. I HATE that STUPID clip that hold the wheel cylinders in. GRRRR!! Even though it was loose enough to allow the wheel cylinder to move out of alignment with the shoes and blow out it's guts it still didn't want to come out of the backing plate... definitely doing something to get rid of those clips. I know NAPA has brackets, but I have another idea I'm going to try first. Every dollar counts right now...

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Couple of questions and ideas.

I dig your unit, and anybody that actually goes to the drags.

Okay, what fuel pump do you have?
What rearend gear ratio and tires/slick are you running at the strip?
How did you adjust the rocker arms?
Have you attempted to adjust the 'air-valve' spring tension of the secondaries on your Q-jet?

Its alot easier to overcome a fuel systems capabilities.
Stock rear gear ratio is gonna suck unless its from a Monte SS/442 (3.73) or GN (3.42).
The 'proper' way is one full turn past 'zero lash' for something you are leaning on, try 1/4-1/2 past zero lash of the push rod.
Its a tiny straight slot screw on the passenger side, of the top cover of the Q-jet, it has a locking screw (usually and Allen screw/bolt) that holds it from underneath. That is how you adjust the secondaries coming in to soon or too late on Q-jet.

love.those.g's

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Thanks for the compliments!
To answer your questions: I am running a stock fuel pump. I have a holley high performance pump, but the diaphragm is bad. This is primarily a street car, so I saved a few bucks for now by just throwing a stock pump on when the holley started leaking.

I have 235/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's and 3.42 gears in a 7.5 posi rear. transmission is a TH350.

I went 1/2 turn past zero lash on the rockers. I have tweaked the air valve tension, and have found the "sweet spot".

I might have a fuel delivery problem on the track, but I also have lousy big chamber small runner small valve smog era heads.

If you have any other questions or suggestions feel free to post them!

love.those.g's

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
SE Wisconsin
Getting ready to get the car out again. Finally got matching Radial T/A's for the front (215-60-15). Gotta finish the rear brakes, and go up a few jet sizes in the carb and she will be ready to go... well, except for the valve seals... but that's a little more involved. Might see if I can bring her into the shop on my day off so I can "borrow" some compressed air and replace the seals without pulling the heads...

Got married since the last time I was on here. Thought about selling the Buick to help pay for the ring, but my fiance (now my wife) told me I couldn't sell the car! She's a keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor