:wink:

Attachments

• Carousel%20Lavender_Wagon.jpg
    Carousel%20Lavender_Wagon.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,503

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
is there a difference (other than appearance) between a 15" rim + tire = 27" total, and a 22" rim + elastic band = 27" total??

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Carlola said:
is there a difference (other than appearance) between a 15" rim + tire = 27" total, and a 22" rim + elastic band = 27" total??

yes. The bigger wheel with the tiny sidewall moves more of the mass of the entire wheel towards the outside. The physics of this means that a) it takes more power to get the wheels moving (torque) and b) takes more power to stop them (rotational momentum). Meaning you need bigger brakes with more stopping power to do it safely. Stouter axles would help with the additional stresses on that part of the drivetrain. Maybe not much more in some cases, but the math doesn't lie. I can do it if you want but its been a while :p

With the big rims, handling wise you don't have the sidewall flex to get in the way, but some of that is good, not bad. Depends on how much. Plus, you have to deal with the increased chance that a hole, speedbump, or whatever will not only F your tire, but F your rim as well.

This of course implies that your car isn't sitting 2' up in the air, which presents a whole new mess of problems. Center of gravity, steering and driveshaft angles, etc. etc.....

Not too mention it probably costs more than you paid for your car to get a good set of 22's and rubber. Something I don't quite get.

You asked. :mrgreen:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
22" U2 30 series tires.... No complAints here...

7aabd09b.jpg

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Carlola said:
A 22" rim with total tire height of 27" will not absorb road inconsistancies like a 15" rim with overall diameter of 27" ... mainly because of the sidewall height/thickness

Which obviously means that you will lose pretty much all of your ride comfort :idea:

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
RITTER said:
Carlola said:
A 22" rim with total tire height of 27" will not absorb road inconsistancies like a 15" rim with overall diameter of 27" ... mainly because of the sidewall height/thickness

Which obviously means that you will lose pretty much all of your ride comfort :idea:

You are very true!!! But man i love the attention the girls give me with my 22'' rims...lol, but ur right the ride sucks...but ni cali u need to roll clean....
:mrgreen:

Big Saint

80zbabiez CC

86Limited

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2009
The Gunshine State, Fl
tc1959 said:
It's funny how History seems to repeat it's self .
The Model T has 33" wheels. :wink:

So I guess its safe to say my great, great grandfathers were the original founders of rolling on "BIG RIMS" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor