Quick Performance 9" Rear Brake Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My car has a Quick Performance 9" and, as far as the brakes go, I'm underwhelmed. The pads ride over the edge of the discs, the flanges that hold the bearings are thin and deform easily, and it seems the rotors are proprietary? I have the non-parking brake 11" discs. It uses the same front caliper as what's on the car which is a ghetto design as the caliper is not properly captured as it would be by the factory knuckle but I digress. Ideally I should replace this rotor as it's been machined quite a bit by the backing plate though I am left with 1 extra good pad from this brake job if I decide to kick the can down the road). QP says it's their own design, but it like the axles has 3 lug patterns drilled into it. It claims to be an 11" disc as well. I'm going to take a spare LT1 4th gen Camaro rear disc with me to compare as those are 10.9". It's been ground down below spec so it can't be turned. Does anyone know what application QP bases that rear rotor on or do they straight up make them from scratch? Has anyone found a larger rotor to better fit the pads? And has anyone found something better to hold the bearings in? Maybe an old OE Ford part that's sturdier or just another company that makes aftermarket 9" housings better?

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I got a couple questions answered by QP, the pads still ride off the top. I was told the rotors are based on the front Montes, but being one piece with the hub I don't see that being correct. Unless the later cars got a separate hub and 11" rotor? The bearing plates got spacers added down the road, and lucky me the mounts are set up to work with stock length control arms, so I'll be resetting those to 11.125" and 19.25" before monkeying with centering, alignment, and pinion angle. So the million dollar question left to answer is WTF did they base that 11" rear rotor off of?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I use LT1 Fbody Rear Discs, the whole setup. The backing plate for them calipers is like 5/8" thick when bolted up. This is the factory one for the Fbody. That's an idea if you want a better setup.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I use LT1 Fbody Rear Discs, the whole setup. The backing plate for them calipers is like 5/8" thick when bolted up. This is the factory one for the Fbody. That's an idea if you want a better setup.

Wait, do the LT1 backing plates and all bolt up to the 9" housing? If so that is a better setup.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Check the bolt pattern and see, when I ordered my QP 9" Housing I asked specifically for it to have the Endcaps to bolt up the LT1 Fbody stuff. Never checked but wouldn't surprise me if bolt patterns are the same for GM stuff.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
How thin are the bearing retainers?

My retainers that came with my Moser rear and disc set up was not thin but I do remember reading about some thin ones. If the bearing is protruding, the thin retainer will conform a bit to the bearing race.

Attachments

• 20230107_164418.jpg
    20230107_164418.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Check the bolt pattern and see, when I ordered my QP 9" Housing I asked specifically for it to have the Endcaps to bolt up the LT1 Fbody stuff. Never checked but wouldn't surprise me if bolt patterns are the same for GM stuff.

I have some LS1 backing plates kicking around and I know those swap out with the LT1 stuff, I should be able to get my answer pretty easily there.

How thin are the bearing retainers?

My retainers that came with my Moser rear and disc set up was not thin but I do remember reading about some thin ones. If the bearing is protruding, the thin retainer will conform a bit to the bearing race.

No thinner than what you have. After I hung up with QP I found an FAQ sheet and sure enough it tells you to stack washers behind that plate to keep from deforming it. :doh: Of course, if I'd been the one to install it in the first place I wouldn't be chasing my tail here now would I?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
When I did my build late 2010, old pic but you can see the assembled Axles, the Bearings pressed on with the LT1 Fbody Backing Plates there. They are a nice chunk of steel..

PARTS.jpg

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The thought now occurs to me that I have a complete, unused LS1 4th gen brake setup in my roller. Of course if I steal it it will cease to be a roller. Can you fit 15" wheels over a 12" rotor?

Looking like the answer is maybe, and probably not. Best bet is to try and bolt a Monte wheel up to the roller and see if I'm dead in the water.

Orrrrrr I could just do the brake swap with these beauties :ROFLMAO:

20190117_170710.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor