Radiator WTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
Can I use a factory replacement 307 radiator when placing a 350 oldsmobile? Or do I need to upgrade my radiator?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Sure, but most aftermarket radiators aren't as good as the factory ones ( less fins and less rows ). Make sure you're getting a good radiator and you'll be fine.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I have a brand new brass and copper radiator that I picked up this past july for my 442. That and the robert shaw high flow 180 t stat and it doesnt run anywhere past 185 on the temp gauge and stays around 180 during normal driving and idling. I did pay for it though, it costed me $335 total through a local radiator shop but was well worth it looking factory correct.

I trust my setup so much that when my 455 goes in I'm not touching anything on it.

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
Well what is a good brand to buy? I live near Summit Racing and I would go and grab one from there but I do want to buy one that is good do I need to buy one that has a trans cooler for a build of 400 horsepower? Or can I go buy one that does not have a trans cooler? I heard that Griffin Radiator is a good brand and also Cool can anybody help me? Or could I just buy a Summit Street Strip radiator?

MWA

Greasemonkey
May 4, 2009
MCDonough,GA
Re: Radiator which kind to buy

What is a good one to buy?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
If you want that OEM factory look, here's the one I bought. Costed me $330 or so but works good with a 180 high flow t stat. Like I said I'd trust it with that t stat in a mid 300 to mid 400 horsepower 10 to 1 compression 455. While youre at it, check the clutch on the clutch fan if you have one because when they go bad it makes a difference and check the condition of the coolant, my daily driver ran 20* or so cooler after I cleaned the original radiator out with vinegar and water.
https://shop.performanceradiator.com/in ... ct_id=1359

I also had a Champion radiator I bought through Ebay a while back, 3 row aluminum and that worked good for the money (cheaper back then). Good quality too. Just make sure you take a close look at the dimensions, they list core to core and overall but not always overall. You want 28" or so overall, not 26.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Griffin Dominator series is a good place to start. There's one that's a direct gbody swap that will easily cool a 350 SBO. In fact a heavy duty brass OEM replacement would also work great. If you go the HD aluminum replacement route, make sure the transmission line bungs are the same size as the gbody.

Good luck.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
In terms of the trans cooler you shouldn't just think about it based on the hp number but what are you using those horses for; racing, street/strip, cruising... What you can do is run an aux. cooler in addition to the stock cooler in the radiator, as the stock cooler is nothing more than a basic tube running from the top to bottom on the inside the radiator (or at the bottom for older iron); that's it. If you're planning on running the car hard, a loose convertor, definitely do the aux. cooler, like a small B&M cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor