Random Ls question

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I'm seeing a whole passel of misinformation in this thread along with the OP's original question....
To the original question, Not a chance said guy has pulled that off without some seriously deep pockets. Anything is possible with enough money though..... In all seriousness, I could throw a D1SC and a 300 shot on a seriously tweaked 6.2 and do it. Might not last to long but hey it can be done.

In regards to some of the misinformation though:

Yes, an Iron block can support over 1K for much more than a few pulls. Over 1500hp though and you're pushing your luck on a stock block with no mods. (FWHP not RWHP)

No, tuning for a water/ meth system is not a pain, just takes a knowledgeable tuner.

Why don't you quote and reply directly to the "misinformation". I don't see anywhere in this thread than a turbo LS1 can't support over 1000hp or that tuning with meth water injection was a pain.

I must have missed that post.

No, a larger sized turbo doesn't have to have a long lag time before boost. An anti-lag system provides the ability to spool up drastically faster than a car with a smaller unit. DISCLAIMER--- Very few cars on the street will have an anti-lag system. Just sayin'.

There are these things called "torque converters" that give a large turbo the ability to spool up quickly. Maybe you have heard of them? It is actually a much better anti lag system than ANY anti lag system.

Yes, hp loss is higher on a supercharger than a PROPERLY sized turbo and accompanying parts. HOWEVER, improperly sized turbo systems will create high backpressure which can surpass an SC in terms of parasitic loss. Which, in all reality, is most of the turbo setups people have on their rides.

Talk about misinformation: Most people have on their rides "in reality": "improperly sized turbo systems [that] will create high backpressure which can surpass an SC in terms of parasitic loss". Really? Most people? Really? .... Really?

Not starting static, just clarifying some things I saw were incorrect on both sides.

uh... Thanks?

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Personally I don't wanna have to flash the converter at every stop sign just to have a ballzy take off lol

Montague

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
I would predict that it isn't happenning. The stock truck block will not withstand 1000 HP for much more than a handful of pulls. And neither will the rods.
It helps to read. I stated this was false, an iron block will survive over 1K hp.
Apparently I misread a post about meth injection tuning. My bad.

There are these things called "torque converters" that give a large turbo the ability to spool up quickly. Maybe you have heard of them? It is actually a much better anti lag system than ANY anti lag system.
Some people don't play with those magical things you call a torque converter. Some people actually use a clutch. I know, it's absurd. Torque converters are king in the drag world. No doubt about it. Some people like the ride to last more than a few seconds. I mean if you like to be in the saddle for only a few seconds before its over that's your thing...
With my personal racing preference, a torque converter isn't logical. I can use an anti-lag system on the fly, I can't hit a transbrake going 20 mph... Come to think of it, how many teams can you name in road racing/ rally that uses an automatic? Even the Indy/F1 guys are using paddle shift. A 4K stall converter has no place in that world.

Talk about misinformation: Most people have on their rides "in reality": "improperly sized turbo systems [that] will create high backpressure which can surpass an SC in terms of parasitic loss". Really? Most people? Really? .... Really?
Since we're being snarky, How many people on the STREET have spent a considerable amount of time comparing A/R maps, compressor maps and exhaust housing size to find the absolute best match for their setup? Or having an engineer design the hotside to achieve the most efficient exhaust gas flow for their particular setup? How about considering airflow and pressure drop over the entirety of the coldside? Or heaven forbid spending the time to find out if an A2A or an A2W intercooler would give the best result for their particular needs?

Lets get real here for a minute, How many times a week do you see someone getting advice off a forum on what size turbo to use? Or where they can buy a "turbo kit"? How many people can actually even READ an A/R map????

I can think of maybe a handful of guys across the country, that have designed and built their system based off some of those questions despite "kits" being available. A few of them run this funny thing called a VGT turbocharger ( Variable Geometry Turbine). The rest are running a one off unit specifically built for their purpose. Most people just buy a turbo and kit based of what some schmuck online says or the total supported hp given.

So yes, Really. Feel better now?

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Touch a nerve there, motorhead?

No. It was a joke as I fully agree with your assessment - please don't take yourself so seriously.

Next time I will provide more winky faces and likes.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
It helps to read. I stated this was false, an iron block will survive over 1K hp.

I can can read. Got any links to a stock shortblock 1000hp SUPERCHARGED build that lasted more than a couple pulls. 64Nailhead's comments were based on a 1000HP bolt-on Supercharged build. You are the one taking those comments out of context and claiming it as "misinformation". Beaten up a few strawmen lately?

With my personal racing preference, a torque converter isn't logical. I can use an anti-lag system on the fly, I can't hit a transbrake going 20 mph...

No need for a transbrake rolling. Drag the brake and the turbos spool. its magical.

Come to think of it, how many teams can you name in road racing/ rally that uses an automatic? Even the Indy/F1 guys are using paddle shift. A 4K stall converter has no place in that world.

G-body's have no place in that world, either. And if the turbo's on a V8 aren't spooling by 3000 RPM, that is plain stupid on the street.

Since we're being snarky, How many people on the STREET have spent a considerable amount of time comparing A/R maps, compressor maps and exhaust housing size to find the absolute best match for their setup? Or having an engineer design the hotside to achieve the most efficient exhaust gas flow for their particular setup? How about considering airflow and pressure drop over the entirety of the coldside? Or heaven forbid spending the time to find out if an A2A or an A2W intercooler would give the best result for their particular needs?

Lets get real here for a minute, How many times a week do you see someone getting advice off a forum on what size turbo to use? Or where they can buy a "turbo kit"? How many people can actually even READ an A/R map????

I can think of maybe a handful of guys across the country, that have designed and built their system based off some of those questions despite "kits" being available. A few of them run this funny thing called a VGT turbocharger ( Variable Geometry Turbine). The rest are running a one off unit specifically built for their purpose. Most people just buy a turbo and kit based of what some schmuck online says or the total supported hp given.

So yes, Really. Feel better now?

blah blah blah I like to hear myself talk.

Yes, hp loss is higher on a supercharger than a PROPERLY sized turbo and accompanying parts. HOWEVER, improperly sized turbo systems will create high backpressure which can surpass an SC in terms of parasitic loss. Which, in all reality, is most of the turbo setups people have on their rides.

I can diagram this paragraph for you, but you are claiming that MOST people's "rides" have improperly sized turbos that makes them have higher parasitic loss than an Supercharger. That is nutty. A turbo would have to be too small to make too much backpressure. Even "too Small" turbos will out torque a Supercharger... and if the HP is lower, slap on some larger turbos - Problem solved..

There is no logic path in you comment that makes sense. You are saying MOST people running turbos are idiots and they need you to chime in and set them straight.

as I said. uh... Thanks?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Montague

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
Wow you sound like my ex-wife. Try Midol.

Look, obviously you have to be right. So ok, fine. You're right. feel better?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I can diagram this paragraph for you, but you are claiming that MOST people's "rides" have improperly sized turbos that makes them have higher parasitic loss than an Supercharger. That is nutty. A turbo would have to be too small to make too much backpressure. Even "too Small" turbos will out torque a Supercharger... and if the HP is lower, slap on some larger turbos - Problem solved..

I am not disputing this. However, there is some validity to the statement that most folks who are building turbo LS-engines use the "rule of thumb" or "proven combo" or "it worked in a magazine" or "its just what I had laying around" method to modeling a turbo kit/components with little thought given to the science behind it all. It makes me laugh inside to see all of the 1000hp junkyard builds that fail.

Montague

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
I am not disputing this. However, there is some validity to the statement that most folks who are building turbo LS-engines use the "rule of thumb" or "proven combo" or "it worked in a magazine" or "its just what I had laying around" method to modeling a turbo kit/components with little thought given to the science behind it all. It makes me laugh inside to see all of the 1000hp junkyard builds that fail.

This^ Motorhead Mike gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor