Re-installing front coils in a bare frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Working on putting my '81 Monte back together & running into a rookie issue, getting the front suspension back together. The body is off & no engine. Already got the control arms on my spring compressor is not being useful either. Just looking for a safe way of doing it. Have had the car 24 years & must be a brain fart on putting it back together.

Dennis
'81 Monte 4 speed

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use one like this, the one I had was too long so I cut it shorter and it works ok as long as you take your time. It easier to use with an impact gun

p520.jpg

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
I used a nylon strap with a loop in both ends. The strap is about 4 feet long, put it across the framehook one loop on each of the wheels on your floor jack, put in the spring, put the jack under the lower control arm and jack it up, the strap will tighten and hold the frame down allowing the jack to compress the spring. Just be ready to install lower ball joint nut. Worked like a charm for me, easier than a spring compressor.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I usually use a stick of all-thread thru the upper and lower shock mount holes........the biggest that will fit thru the upper shock mount hole (1/2" I think). A piece of heavy flat stock or angle iron on the bottom (double nutted) and a couple of big flat washers on top. Once the all-thread is thru the shock holes and spring, just tighten the top nut and draw every thing together. No worries about spring compressors slipping or straps breaking.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
^^^ so the flat stock,or angle iron piece is place on the bottom of the lower a-arm,or where?

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
tetomas said:
I used a nylon strap with a loop in both ends. The strap is about 4 feet long, put it across the framehook one loop on each of the wheels on your floor jack, put in the spring, put the jack under the lower control arm and jack it up, the strap will tighten and hold the frame down allowing the jack to compress the spring. Just be ready to install lower ball joint nut. Worked like a charm for me, easier than a spring compressor.

tried something similar once. results of it: the strap tore and the spring began to frolic around the shop like a kangaroo on extasy. Glad to be still alive and nobody got hurt.

My advice: DON't use straps ^^ and don't use low-cost spring compressors either!

tetomas

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
east central georiga
Ferret said:
tetomas said:

tried something similar once. results of it: the strap tore and the spring began to frolic around the shop like a kangaroo on extasy. Glad to be still alive and nobody got hurt.

My advice: DON't use straps ^^ and don't use low-cost spring compressors either!
Or: use a heavy enough strap, and one that is in good condition

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure what you guys mean by a cheap spring compressor. I have used the style I posted for decades and never had an injury or close call when using it. Even if it slips the spring and compressor doesn't fly apart. I have 660 lbs springs and I used that type of spring compressor that was $40 new with no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor