Ready for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Man, I feel for you northern guys. Here in Georgia, my boat gets covered in October, uncovered for hunting/fishing trip in early December, then covered again until late April. The cars don't have to get winterized. Haven't had snow or ice for a few years. When we do, it's usually just a day or two. DOT uses sand on overpasses sometimes, but not salt. We're more likely to have T-Top cruising weather in winter than snow.

Reactions: 4 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Normally my wagon is my winter driver. But I have the 2006 GMC 4X4 now that will be son #2's and he's getting his temporary license later this month and will need to be practicing in it. So I'm taking the wagon over to my sister's empty garage space for this coming winter. But not for another month yet.

Of the four cars that I do park every winter, NONE are put away yet and I'm still driving them all. In fact, one of them just received a bumper to bumper tune-up, fluid and filter change, brake upgrade and new tires and a battery. I'm hoping to get a month's use out of it before I have to put it back away.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here in Georgia, ....... DOT uses sand on overpasses sometimes, but not salt.
Not as much anymore.

Every year GA DOT expands the use of brine pretreatments and salt applications.

This year GA DOT bought 55,000 tons of salt and down to 45,000 tons of gravel.
http://www.dot.ga.gov/DS/Emergency/WinterWeather I hadn't looked lately but you post got me curious if they had passed the tipping point, and, sure enough they had. Not sure what year though.

The balance really started shifting back around the mid to late oughts in the metro Atlanta region and really picked up steam since then creeping further outwards.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Hope they keep that stuff up in the North GA mountains and metro ATL. I've only seen sand used in the Augusta area.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I got sunburned this weekend, does that count as ready for winter? I'll post in the non G project thread soon, been chipping away at the trailer. Once that's ready it's off to the track! I'll re-enter reality in December, but until then I'll be sweating my butt off in the middle of the Mojave Desert and beating on the Camaro like it owes me money.

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
We turned on our AC the other night, probably the first time ever doing so in October. Nowhere near thinking about winter or putting the cars away but the weather will turn here eventually. Doesn’t take much to get them ready for winter, I have taken the wagon to my mom’s house to open up a garage space but if I don’t get that running sometime soon(and will need an alignment asap) a Monte will go there instead.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Last year we got our first snow fall in early Sept and the car was pretty much put away until May! It hit close 80 yesterday and today so maybe we'll get lucky this year and the car won't be off the road until December. It's always a crap shoot here of when the season ends.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I'll keep a quarter tank in mine and take it out in the winter so long as the salt has been washed away by a recent rain. Usually pretty nice in NJ through December. River froze in January 2017 though, so it varies. Mixture in the radiator is more like 65% glycol after bad hand calculations, so it wouldn't pop freeze plugs in the arctic. More worried about winterizing my fig tree.

Reactions: 1 user

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
If the roads here in MA are dry and not salty Bad Martha will be cruising

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not Worth the tow unless your a SBRA member
'worth'? I think the term worth needs a better description.

A bad day of driving the car with breakdowns or poor running is better than a great day at work when it's 20 degrees outside. A good day at the track is when I test the seat and seat belts to hold me in place (being strapped in and being pushed into the seat is a GREAT feeling to me). If I can combine a good day at the track with some drive time/cruising, then it's well 'worth' it to me.

And seeing how my son is moving there, spending the time with him is just icing on the cake.

I'm not trying to put your words down, but I'm at the point in my life where a lot of things that I can do, or should do, are worth it - even if it's only for a couple of days of fun at the track and 18-20 hours of commuting back and forth.

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor