CUTLASS Ready or not here I come...

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
What is your plan as far as transmission, sensors, coils,injectors,gaskets, covers, and accessories? New or junkyard? I'd probably start there tbh. Fuel system and headers are decisions between cobbling a setup together(speed engineering headers, ict plates or spohn mounts, stock 4.3 monte tank, sending unit and walbro 250) or buy holley everything... headers,mounts, drop in fuel module. Ecm and harness. If you got the scratch, just buy the terminator you need for whatever transmission you wanna use. If not go to the junkyard and grab a stock setup(and all the sensors,coils,injectors, intake,covers, and accessories you need).
I have a used stock 4L60e trans.
I also have a 4.8 with all the sensors, intake, injectors, coils, and fuel rail. I won't be able to use the throttle body on the intake, it's drive by wire. I will have to upgrade the injectors according to Summit's recommendation.
Engine came with a gasket kit and oil pump.
The covers I was thinking of going with the ones on the 4.8 except the valve covers unless I can remove the extension tube and use a filler cap only. I would like to powder coat them a flat black.

I'm going to try to mount the block to the stand this week and install the oil pump and front cover, oil pan and pick up tube, as many sensors as possible, the valley cover and valve covers and the intake just to have th block covered up.
20220801_091246.jpg
20220801_091317.jpg
20220801_094252.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
This is the valley cover on the 4.3 it is from an 07 Chevy Silverado Classic.

Can I use a valley cover without the knock sensors?

This cover doesn't have a vacuum port.

20220801_140648.jpg

I was recommended this valley cover. My question is do I need to have the knock sensors?

I plan on going with a MSD Air Force intake manifold.

I have taken engines apart but I haven't built one until now. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as I go.

Screenshot_20220802-080720_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You can get a flat aluminum ICT billit one without knock sensors. Or something like the LS6 valley which is supposedly best for oil control.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
This is the valley cover on the 4.3 it is from an 07 Chevy Silverado Classic.

Can I use a valley cover without the knock sensors?

This cover doesn't have a vacuum port.

View attachment 203839
I was recommended this valley cover. My question is do I need to have the knock sensors?

I plan on going with a MSD Air Force intake manifold.

I have taken engines apart but I haven't built one until now. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as I go.

View attachment 203840
I'd talk to my tuner about the knock sensors. That's the reason to keep them, especially if your gonna tune it yourself. After a fair bit of research and talking with a few tuners locally. I decided to keep mine. Unless your building an all out racecar, you prob should too imo.

Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You can also go with side mounted knock sensors later on. They have extention wiring. That's my plan IF I decide to add them later. I don't like the valley sensor setup. Jmho

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
You can also go with side mounted knock sensors later on. They have extention wiring. That's my plan IF I decide to add them later. I don't like the valley sensor setup. Jmho
yeah, I had a '99 Suburban with a 350. those things had a known issue where moisture would get in the lower intake manifold area and cause the knock sensor mounted there to short circuit and throw a Check Engine Light

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
*THIS IS NOT MY ENGINE

I've been searching online for information and found an article from Motor Trend with that picture that caught my attention.
I really liked the paint color for the block, I was going to go flat black, but I decided on going with this color.
They even have the intake manifold I want to use, they have exhaust manifolds and I would like to use the headers.
I bought some paint and painted the valve covers and coil brackets red and I painted the valley covers gray even though it won't be seen.
I would like to use the same valve covers they used but not sure about the clearance with the hvac box.
At the moment I'm going to install the oil pump and covers to clean up the block and paint it.
Screenshot_20220810-154429_Chrome.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor