Rear Axle Identification

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
where can i look for my gears code my door panels where painted..i have a 7.5 rear

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The door-jamb stickers do not list any of that information anyways...

It will be listed on the RPO label on the under-side of your trunk-lid.

RPO labels first appeared in 1984, so anything older will not have one.
Double check to make sure that the VIN on the label matches the VIN on your car, as it could have been replaced over time.

If your trunk lid has been replaced, or the label damaged, you can find the stamping on the passenger side axle tube, though the code will be different.

442Jayp

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2010
so my code is g72 and i have 2.14 gears...smh i beat alot of cars on these gerars

GMNorway

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2011
My rear axel has stamped 6HT U 323 on the axel tubing. and M21 on the flang at the axel housing!??
anybody who knows what it means? is 323 the ratio??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always think that if someone asks what rear ratio they have then it's past due to change the rear end oil cause they have never opened the rear end to see what gears they have....old oil doesn't lubricate as well as new oil which costs you performance and gas mileage ...and if you use synthetic gear oil it's that much better...

if you look under your trunk lid there may be a label with the rpo's for your car

http://www.g-body.org/tnt/diffs/diff-codes.php

Unclelchap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Lawrenceville, Ga. 30046
are there any other cars that i can find an 8.5 to donate? say something i can find in the pull-a-part and bolt in without mods? :|

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor