Rear disc brake upgrade? Worth it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
I have a 85 ss Monte Carlo, I was wondering if a disc brake conversion is worth the effort or are the stock drum brakes good enough. It is just a driver with a 400 small block, turbo 350 and 373 posi rear end.
thx in advance.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My plan for my car is to use the S10 manual brake rear wheel cylinders, use the bolt on brackets to better secure the wheel cylinders to the backing plates and make sure the adjustment on the rear shoes is pretty snug. I think this is more than enough for a driver. I prefer the pedal feel of well adjusted rear drums.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Drum brakes stop you faster, there is more brake material contacting the drums than a disk pad on a rotor. '90% of heavy truck buyers today still choose tried-and-true drum brakes" The advantage of disk brakes is they don't need any adjustment and are easier to change the pads and disks on some cars. In circle track racing the rear disks are better because of constant brake use the drums heat up and expand which lowers the brake pedal and affects the braking because the front disks will brake more then the rear. I have an A body rear and noticed an improvement in the rear brakes. The A body uses the same drum and equal size shoes but the wheel cylinder is bolted in so it does not move around like the G body cylinder installed with the clip

and I should mention I have 1980 Seville rear calipers and F body rotors and caliper brackets set up for my car. If I ever get around to doing the switch it will be only for the look and nothing else.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
What do you mean if it's better?
Would you take $1 or 1¢?
Can't give you more money because that's all I got lol.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I agree that for a mild driver the rear drums should be more than adequate and this is how I set up my Regal's new brake system.
But on my Monte I have Wilwood rear discs with an adjustable proportioning valve I have it adjusted so that the rears come in just after the fronts so my big sticky rear tires can help the skinny frontrunners stop.
This set up works amazingly well with the power I have.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I love my disc brakes and car stops even and vary positively.
For a daily driver it probably doesn't matter much.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I would agree that it is not necessary for just a daily driver. I'm only doing it in addition to all the other "turn and stop" mods I am doing to see what I can get this 442 of mine to do on a track [just for fun!]. Right now . . . since it is scattered, I am just missing driving it!

Good luck with your Monte!

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
it all depends on your driving style, and the depth of your wallet. if your a cruiser, drums will work just fine. if your more like a street racer or drive like your doing auto-x, i think discs would be the way to go. while drum brakes do have a greater brake swept surface area, the reason disc brake brakes have become the industry standard on cars is their ability to dissipate heat is superior to drum brakes. when braking, brakes convert the motion of the car to heat. that heat needs to be removed for the braking to continue to work. the more efficiently that heat removed, the better your braking will be. rotors are more efficient then drums are at removing heat.
now I'm not saying drums are bad. my 57 olds still has the factory drum brakes front and rear. and when it was raced in mexico, it went through 6 sets of front shoes while racing in the mountains. the shoe material was heat cracking, because it couldn't dissipate the heat.
now there are ways to maximize your drums, by using aluminum drums, drums with external fins, larger drums( mid-seventies a-body wagons came with 11"finned drums on the rear), or what they did in the sixties was to run high metallic segmented shoes and holesaw large holes in the backing plates to help vent the heat.
so, consider your driving style and determine how much you want to spend. sometimes its cheaper to buy a lot of shoes in place of upgrading to discs.

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
Thanks guys. Very helpful info. I will not drive this car a whole lot, so I probally will just leave the drums on there for now. If I see the need in the future then I can convert to the disc's. We dirt track race and have converted a lot of the g body and camaros over to discs so It isnt hard to do but if I dont see the need then thats money I can spend elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor