Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you are patient and find the 98-02 Camaro axle, you might get lucky like I did and find one that has 3.73s and a Torsen. I got the whole axle from the U-Pull-and-Pay for $125. I'm now trying to teach myself to install gears, so I can swap the freebies into the Malibu housing.
The key piece is the backing plates. They are still available on RockAuto and Amazon for $85-$150 each.

Attachments

• Camaro Backing Plates.JPG
    Camaro Backing Plates.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 323

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
I picked up 2000 Camaro brake calipers and backing plates yesterday. Both in great shape. If there is no way to use them without cutting the flange on the rear end I will stick to the stock drums for now. I just can't bring myself to cut it up. So I guess they are up for sale if anyone is interested in taking them off my hands let me know.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
What gets me is that when GM went to the ls1 brakes(maybe even the lt1's, I don't know) they went back to the car 4 bolt axle flange that they used for so many years on the 8.2, 8.5, and 8.875 rears. The ls1 backing plates are a direct bolt on to those old rear ends. There is no trying to center it over the axle tube or anything. Just bolt it on and it's centered. Would have been nice if they had kept that set up through the g body platform as well as the 3rd gen f-bodies. I honestly don't see where GM saved any money by retooling for and making another design that is used on our cars. Another added benefit of the older design was that the rear wheel cylinders bolted in instead of being retained by that damn snap ring thing-a-majig that you can't hardly get back in.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are patient and find the 98-02 Camaro axle, you might get lucky like I did and find one that has 3.73s and a Torsen. I got the whole axle from the U-Pull-and-Pay for $125. I'm now trying to teach myself to install gears, so I can swap the freebies into the Malibu housing.
The key piece is the backing plates. They are still available on RockAuto and Amazon for $85-$150 each.

If you use keep the backlash shims from the "new" carrier and install them in the same place with the new carrier 99% odds you'll have the correct backlash. If you keep the same shim on the pinon 99% odds you will have the right depth. The hardest part is the crush spacer but one you get that done you'll just have to back off the nut until to get about 5 lbs of rotating torque. You can check the torque with your hand, it'll just be a slight drag

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What gets me is that when GM went to the ls1 brakes(maybe even the lt1's, I don't know) they went back to the car 4 bolt axle flange that they used for so many years on the 8.2, 8.5, and 8.875 rears. The ls1 backing plates are a direct bolt on to those old rear ends. There is no trying to center it over the axle tube or anything. Just bolt it on and it's centered. Would have been nice if they had kept that set up through the g body platform as well as the 3rd gen f-bodies. I honestly don't see where GM saved any money by retooling for and making another design that is used on our cars. Another added benefit of the older design was that the rear wheel cylinders bolted in instead of being retained by that damn snap ring thing-a-majig that you can't hardly get back in.

I have the 8.2 and have a set of backing plates from an F body. The F body plates went on with one side the caliper was in the rear of the axle and the other side was in front. There is one offset hole in the axle tube flange so I weld the hole closed on one backing plate and drilled a new hole in the backing plate so I could have both calipers rear of the axle. I was supposed opt install them last winter but I was too lazy. This winter I should have them installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor