Rear end gearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Do people actually do 70 on the highway where you guys are? It's 80-85 down here on the open road. If you're doing 70, you're getting run over. My daily turns around 2900 RPM at 85. The exhaust is a bit loud but otherwise it's fine. It doesn't bother that 5.3 at all.

Reactions: 5 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I have 3.73’s and both drag radials go up in smoke if I give it the weed at or below 40mph. I’m thinking 3.42’s or even 3.08 may be a better gear for my setup. Granted, a 6.2 with VVT is producing way more low end grunt than a turbo 5.3 . If the OP is going to use the car mainly on the street I would favor less rear gear. Spinning is not winning. Will 4.11’s help on a prepped track? Probably but then you need to live with tire spin on the street and high revs on the highway.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Codyccg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2021
Flint,mi
Well looks like im changing out the 4.11s lol anyone want a truetrac with gears maybe 100 miles on it if that

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do people actually do 70 on the highway where you guys are? It's 80-85 down here on the open road. If you're doing 70, you're getting run over. My daily turns around 2900 RPM at 85. The exhaust is a bit loud but otherwise it's fine. It doesn't bother that 5.3 at all.

Yeah, but you're from Texas where they are known to be risk takers and law breakers -at least I seen that in a movie (so it must be true!! :) )

I have 3.73’s and both drag radials go up in smoke if I give it the weed at or below 40mph. I’m thinking 3.42’s or even 3.08 may be a better gear for my setup. Granted, a 6.2 with VVT is producing way more low end grunt than a turbo 5.3 . If the OP is going to use the car mainly on the street I would favor less rear gear. Spinning is not winning. Will 4.11’s help on a prepped track? Probably but then you need to live with tire spin on the street and high revs on the highway.

What are you running for a converter? The OP's converter should put him well past the rpm that your motor will produce more torque than his? Meaning that your motor will out grunt his at 2500, but with his converter it should jump to 4K pretty quick and never really pull much of anywhere below 3500. But I do agree that he will be turning tires to smoke at 4K rpm's from a 2500 WOT stab. Mine takes about 3/4 to a full second, but as mentioned previously, he has a smaller turbo that should light off quicker.

Well looks like im changing out the 4.11s lol anyone want a truetrac with gears maybe 100 miles on it if that
Why not reuse the TrueTrac? Or do you want to run a spool? If you want a spool, then remember that they are not street friendly.

Reactions: 1 user

Codyccg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2021
Flint,mi
Yeah, but you're from Texas where they are known to be risk takers and law breakers -at least I seen that in a movie (so it must be true!! :) )

What are you running for a converter? The OP's converter should put him well past the rpm that your motor will produce more torque than his? Meaning that your motor will out grunt his at 2500, but with his converter it should jump to 4K pretty quick and never really pull much of anywhere below 3500. But I do agree that he will be turning tires to smoke at 4K rpm's from a 2500 WOT stab. Mine takes about 3/4 to a full second, but as mentioned previously, he has a smaller turbo that should light off quicker.

Why not reuse the TrueTrac? Or do you want to run a spool? If you want a spool, then remember that they are not street friendly.
A 3.55 gear has a different carrier. My current carrier is good for 3.90 and up

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Bummer. You can always do it later and follow the 'run what you brung' program. That way you can get everything else dialed in and working before you decide on a rear gear ratio. I adhere to that program most of the time lol.

You need to start a build thread or a thread in the boost, LS swap or G-body Racing section. The site admin, GP403, made it possible to post tunes and datalogs. A couple of other members and myself have boosted Holley setups, and several others are in the process of putting together Terminator builds (Tony in the previous post for one).

How far along is your car? And where are you located?

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Codyccg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2021
Flint,mi
Bummer. You can always do it later and follow the 'run what you brung' program. That way you can get everything else dialed in and working before you decide on a rear gear ratio. I adhere to that program most of the time lol.

You need to start a build thread or a thread in the boost, LS swap or G-body Racing section. The site admin, GP403, made it possible to post tunes and datalogs. A couple of other members and myself have boosted Holley setups, and several others are in the process of putting together Terminator builds (Tony in the previous post for one).

How far along is your car? And where are you located?pret

How far along is your car? And where are you located?
Sweet thanks I'll definitely have to check em out! The car has a bit to go I still have to plumb the turbo, get the intercooler mounted, fuel cell, waiting on a trans hopefully it will show up soon! I'm from flint mi

Reactions: 1 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I have 3.25s in my Cutlass (TH400 trans, Ford 9” rear end) and it cruises nicely on the highway.

Turns around 3200 rpm on the highway at 70 mph. I’m in the slow lane letting people pass me getting 8 mpg 🤑

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have 3.25s in my Cutlass (TH400 trans, Ford 9” rear end) and it cruises nicely on the highway.

Turns around 3200 rpm on the highway at 70 mph. I’m in the slow lane letting people pass me getting 8 mpg 🤑

Nice to see you treat your car like a date that's a sure thing - baby it all the way to the house before you put the wood to it all night long until you break it. :banana:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor