Rear speakers 4x10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims442

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2019
Connecticut
Are they relatively new 4X10 or old ones?

My wagon was radio delete from the factory and had an aftermarket radio put in. I tried putting new 4x10's in and the magnets are too tall and hit the inner fenders.

Curious if they are "newer" 4x10's how you got them to fit.
The 4x10's I have are by Boss They are really cheap But they fit in the original set up. I was able to put in my 6x9's last night what a difference they made.

Reactions: 1 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
The 4x10's I have are by Boss They are really cheap But they fit in the original set up. I was able to put in my 6x9's last night what a difference they made.

Yeah, going from 4x10's to 6x9's is kinda along the lines of going from a 3.8 to a 5.0 :)

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are they relatively new 4X10 or old ones?

My wagon was radio delete from the factory and had an aftermarket radio put in. I tried putting new 4x10's in and the magnets are too tall and hit the inner fenders.

Curious if they are "newer" 4x10's how you got them to fit.
I have some Kenwood 4x10's out of my car that I won't be using. I can measure them. If they will work for you, I'll be happy to ship them to you. You can have them. I didn't want to throw them away.

Edit: PM me if you want them so it doesn't get past me.

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Jake,
They are aftermarket speakers that I bought from a member years back. Did you try to install them in the original factory location? I'll have to pull one out and get back to you regarding clearance of the magnets, etc.. II'm sure the original OEM speakers had shallower magnets. I don't have the old ones to compare.

Interesting.

Like i mentioned the car was factory radio delete but I didn't mention a dealer put in an aftermarket radio and speakers in when new. The speakers are in the rear panels that cover the rear wheel wells facing generally upwards. There just isn't enough room between the panel and the wheel well to fit a normal "new" 4X10. The aftermarket dealer installed 1980 speaker is on the left side, new normal one on the right.

1576094500549.png

Speaker grills are the black things in the wheel well bumps. Are they even in the right spot?

1576094604237.png

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Interesting.

Like i mentioned the car was factory radio delete but I didn't mention a dealer put in an aftermarket radio and speakers in when new. The speakers are in the rear panels that cover the rear wheel wells facing generally upwards. There just isn't enough room between the panel and the wheel well to fit a normal "new" 4X10. The aftermarket dealer installed 1980 speaker is on the left side, new normal one on the right.

View attachment 130454

Speaker grills are the black things in the wheel well bumps. Are they even in the right spot?

View attachment 130455
Wow! That's a significant difference between the two speakers. I see what you mean about the one on the right being a deeper/taller unit.
Whoever installed the speakers initially, did place them correctly over the wheelhouse.
I suppose if they weren't so tall, you might even have been able to dent in the area slightly where the magnets would make contact.

Your other option would be to enclose them, or a pair of round 6.5" speakers in the rear side compartments.
Incorporating spacers under the speakers would look funky....but not in a good way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor