rear spoiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

roachownsu

Greasemonkey
May 24, 2013
is a monte carlo ss rear spoiler compatable with putting it on a 85 cutlass supreme?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
roachownsu said:
is a monte carlo ss rear spoiler compatable with putting it on a 85 cutlass supreme?

Yes, with a little modification. You need to either trim the tips so they clear the top of the taillights or cut them off completely.

roachownsu

Greasemonkey
May 24, 2013
hey thanx FE3X.. yea im going to to put the monte carlo spoiler on it instead of the 442 spoiler.. it just looks cleaner.. btw i like the adjustable spoiler you custom made for your cutlass.. wish i could get one of those..lol

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I actually have the later model SS spoiler on my Cutlass.

Angelo Valenti, who owns one of the FE3X cars is the one that had the rear spoiler made that mimics the original concept car spoiler.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
roachownsu said:
whats the difference between the monte carlo ss spoilers? pics would help

The earlier models stand up more where as the later model is closer to being flat. I don't know what years they switched between the two.

I believe this is the more vertical spoiler:

75330_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

This is the later model spoiler. It's more flat:

1987+Monte+Carlo+SS+side.jpg

Young0utlaw81Cutlass

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2013
Dallas Tx.
It sure looks nice SS spoiler on a Cutlass i decided to go this way on mine but i would like to know how much do i have to cut off and size of drill bit to make holes on my trunk

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Young0utlaw81Cutlass said:
It sure looks nice SS spoiler on a Cutlass i decided to go way on mine but i would like to know how much do i have to cut off and size of drill bit to make holes on my trunk

How much you need to trim depends on the car and if the spoiler hits your taillights. If you don't want the wing tips to extend over the taillights you can cut them off without too much work since they are hollow underneath.

As for the trunk holes, the studs on the spoiler are around 8mm in diameter so you'll need a drill bit a little larger than that. I made the holes fairly large so that it would give some wiggle room adjusting the spoiler side to side.

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
FE3X, I see I am not the only one that likes that look. Do you have any actual pictures of the rear of your car that you can post? Do your tips extend over the tail lights? Cutlass' should have came with this type of spoiler from the factory as an option. Something is needed on the back to give it a little more "bam".

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
BigGeorge said:
FE3X, I see I am not the only one that likes that look. Do you have any actual pictures of the rear of your car that you can post? Do your tips extend over the tail lights? Cutlass' should have came with this type of spoiler from the factory as an option. Something is needed on the back to give it a little more "bam".

This was the spoiler on mine before bodywork and paint:

This is after we cut the ends off and put a few coats of primer on it:

Should have a few pics in a few weeks of everything painted and installed for final comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor