Rears Anyone????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phoenyx said:
j_tizzle_84 said:
im not tring to take chance dumping money into a rear that is proned to brakage. but like i said earlier to each their own ijust dont have money like that. oh and that is the plan

Good idea. My current 7.5 has two rebuilds and well over $2500 into it. Only engines that have been in front of it have been stock or close to stock 305s and a 301. Nothing more that stock width street tires. And I believe it's on it's way out again.

there's gotta be some other issue with your rear end...(the one in the car) the weak link of the 7.5 is the axles and it can be beefed up with a 7 5/8 carrier from an F body to use the Grand National 28 spline axles or some better axles. In our circle track camaro we are putting an rear end together with strange axles, full spool and c clip eliminators and the cost of those parts ran about $1,200 so we are well under $2,500. I'm changing my rear end to a 10 bolt B body and I've got my 7.5 rear end sold to a guy who runs a metric in a thunder car class. I ran my car with the T5 WC and a 355 vortec with headers and duels and the 7.5 held up no problem. I'm changing the rear end at almost no cost out of my pocket since the 7.5 is sold and plus I wanted a wider rear end to do some other upgrades....

Chris Van said:
Question....
Did an 85 T-Type come with an 8.5????

Be careful... For a few years, the T-type "package" was available with a regular Y-code 307 Olds and a 7.5" rear.
Turbo cars are the ones that recieved the 8.5".

Doober said:
Yes. GN/T-Type, and some 442s

All 442's actually.
It was put in all '84-'87 Turbo Buicks, as well as '84 H/O's and '85-'87 442's.

No Chevys or Pontiacs ever got 8.5's from the factory.
'79 H/O's, '80 442's, and '83 H/O's still have a 7.5", as well as all the early carb'd turbo cars.

😳 I thought it was just an option in some of them... I may be thinking of the posi unit though.

Yeah I knew about the 442's and G/N's but just wasn't sure about a T-Type. Trying to get my hands on what looks like to be a pretty nice t type locally here. It is a 3.8 turbo car by the way. I wouldn't be interested if it was a 307 Olds motor.

If it doesn't work out for me.... I'll post the link on here in case anyone else is interested.
What is a good ball park figure for one of these???
The car, not the rear end....

why not just toss in a Ford 8.8 out of a mustang or exploder?

i have a 7.5 behind my 455.. i havent had any problems..

It all depends on your application, tools/ mechanical skills, budget and preferance. If you do not plan on using slicks or going to the track much, or have low torque stick to the 7.5. If you don't care about keeping your GM car all Gm, the ford swaps are excellent choices and have many advantages like c-clip eliminators (a very valuable safety feature of the 9") and a huge choice of gears. The easiest swap to do is a 12bolt abody rear or an 8.5 and both will be strong enough if properly assembled. It's all personal choice and budget. but thats just my opinion

you can get a bolt in 9'inch housing with axles for like $750. from Quickperfromance.com.my 7.5 rear last maybe one burn out with my bbc.no more 7.5's for me.

But how much will you be paying for the 3rd member... That kind of $ doesn't need to be spent for a street setup imo. If you're making 600+hp and racing it on slicks every weekend maybe, but not for a 350-400hp car on street tires.

On this same post we've covered everythign from building the 7.5 to a 9". It's fairly safe to say every good oprtions been covered and the rpos and cons have been covered. If your in the market for a rear decide the max power you will ever produce and then decide what the cheapest rear that will support that number is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor