Recent G-body Prices - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
I still think these people have misread the demand. Cheap G-bodies were popular because they were cheap. I continue to struggle to see them as any kind of "classic" except cheap. The higher the price, the more appealing other cars start to look.

Im a gbody guy all the way but I think you hit the nail on the head with many peoples interests in gbodies and a disconnect between sellers and buyers.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I still think these people have misread the demand. Cheap G-bodies were popular because they were cheap. I continue to struggle to see them as any kind of "classic" except cheap. The higher the price, the more appealing other cars start to look.
There is a pattern with old cars. They get cheap at one point and then the prices go up. Tri 5 Chevys did this and Muscle cars did this. I remember in 1977 my parents restored a 55 Belair hard top. They bought it for $500. I rode home with my oldest brother in a 55 Belair 4 door sedan that my dad bought for $40 for a parts car. In the 80s, my brothers had muscle cars for dirt cheap money. I know these cars are not tri 5s or 60s muscle cars but as those prices continue to get stupid high, the appeal falls on our G bodys. The companies that are supplying new parts help out the market as well. Truth is, these cars are classics. The prices will continue to go up so if anyone is thinking about buying one, now is a good time. I think the Malibu two doors are pretty expensive now on average and they are the ones starting the price demands. Around here anyway. I feel that the Monte Carlo SS' are a good investment. Lots of production 83-88 and the fact that it is an SS. It was a dream car when I turned 16. Parents could not afford one and ended up with a 79 Regal Limited. So in a nut shell. "my dad had one" , "dream car" , "first car" are just a few examples that help drive the market. I have a 2 door hard top 55 Belair cause my dad had one. I have 5 Monte Carlo SS' because it was my dream car when I was 16. I'm currently looking for a 79 Regal because it was my first car. I always buy junkers though because I do everything myself and cannot afford them if they're very nice runner/drivers. Sorry for the book

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Some people are just out to lunch on the asking prices.

However there is still some sanity left in this world:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Oldsm...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
1986 Oldsmobile 442 Sold for $5,300.00

But with places like F40 Motorsports in CT asking $25K for an 86 442 it's only a matter of time before the price of G bodies will get out of reach for the little guy.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/oldsmobile/442/1991310.html
http://www.f40.com/inventorymanager.php?action=view&Id=975846

And with more than 1 GNX selling for north of 6 figures don't expect the price of GNs or T-Types to drop anytime soon.

I knew it would happen sooner or later, Fox bodies have been pricey for awhile (around here a decent Fox is worth more than a classic '66 notch back); it was only a matter of time that the G-bodies caught up.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
G-body prices were always going to go up, but the junk will eventually come back down when nobody buys it.

My son called me last night about a high mile 2012 Mustang 5.0L 6 speed on CL for $5K that just sold or I'd post a link. As the 2011 - up 5.0L's get in the $15K- $12K range for presentable drivers, paying more for an inferior mustang just doesn't make any sense and ALL previous mustangs are inferior from a driving standpoint. Sure it would be cool to have a nice, driver FOX notch, but $7,500 cool, not $14,000 cool. $14K already puts one in a "something better than a FOX Mustang" price bracket, unless its a museum piece or rare like an SVO.

And if Somebody thinks a $20K Fox notch driver is cool, they must have lived in an area without a Buick dealer in the 1980's. I had FOX mustangs throughout the 80's and 90's and saw more Buick Taillights than I can count.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'm the odd duck here. I LIKE G bodies. A lot. I drove Chevelles for the first 10 years of my driving career, including an LS5 '70...Midnight blue. white stripes, black guts, Cowl Induction and a 4 speed...there were a half dozen SS cars in my life. My first car was a 72 SS 350.

There are better buys than G bodies for sure, but for me, I'd still take a Malibu over any Camaro after '69...and I used to own a 70 RS Z/28. Corvettes are a whole 'nother game, they are fun, but too much iffy technology in them.

Might be because I'm a large guy, but the intermediates always just felt right for me.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm the odd duck here. I LIKE G bodies. A lot. I drove Chevelles for the first 10 years of my driving career, including an LS5 '70...Midnight blue. white stripes, black guts, Cowl Induction and a 4 speed...there were a half dozen SS cars in my life. My first car was a 72 SS 350.

There are better buys than G bodies for sure, but for me, I'd still take a Malibu over any Camaro after '69...and I used to own a 70 RS Z/28. Corvettes are a whole 'nother game, they are fun, but too much iffy technology in them.

Might be because I'm a large guy, but the intermediates always just felt right for me.

But, why do we have to "overpay" for a pedestrian G-body? As much as I like these cars there is no value in getting fleeced for one.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Chit! That's what I paid for the whole running (albeit rough) and driving (albeit rougher) car. And a year later I still feel like I got taken.

I'll shut up now. :unsure:

It was a horrible impulse buy at the time. But, it worked out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor