Recent G-body Prices - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
The G-body cars are still out there cheap for Canada, but you can't buy on impulse. I picked up this passed weekend a 86 Monty SS that's original paint zero rust but engines toast for $2500.

I've had 2 early 70's Corvette's and a GTA the most uncomfortable cars for big guys, l'm 6'3" an well close to 300 lbs, them cars are narrow and to low to ground, you couldn't give me one.

The G-bodies got style, comfort and you can add on to them to get the performance you want. They are win win!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I dunno, i think as cars get more popular, people lose sight of what they're worth. Has happened to all of the collectible cars. Last time I went and looked at a Chevelle, I walked away thinking"I parted a better car than this 15 years ago".

That said, nice ones are getting harder to find, and trying to buy an uncut Malibu coupe is almost impossible these days...so the price goes up.

Shoot, Cavaliers and Cobalts are cheap, but I don't see them becoming hugely popular. I do think that people are putting too much value on the "last full frame" line of thinking, since most serious fast cars get cut to pieces and rebuilt anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I paid the price to get it transported out because it’s been in the family since new, has some sentimental value, and is pretty clean and (relatively) rust-free.

Even if I were to do all the wrenching myself, to do what I want to do is at least $20-25k in hardware alone. I figure I’m going to be all-in for $40k or more. Only way I’d part with it is if I were offered $100k for it.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I paid $700 bucks for my 81 Malibu Wagon Estate a few months ago. Head liner is all saggy and it has an exhaust leak. Odometer says 84k and it sure drives like it. Cars don't rust here so it's ultra solid. It didn't run when I got it but it wasn't hard to figure out. I added two gallons of gas and drove it around. 3.8, th200. Tilt, air, cruise, power windows and locks and it all works. Except for the headliner the rest of the interior is in good shape.
Engine makes some rod noise after it's up to temp but I'm not worried about it. Not a fan of the rest of the power train it has either. Still not sure what to do with it.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Guess you guys haven’t been following turbo Buick’s the last month...

C432F942-1355-431B-BA34-569618F3B3A0.png BD5EDA0C-8C32-449A-88D9-1DFB7BCD695B.png 3DCD528E-E5A6-44D4-8E34-F7C39F20EBF5.png 545B8C67-E981-47D1-955D-08186FBAC37A.jpeg

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I just don't understand the hype.
These cars do nothing well other than look good and get you from A to B. You get a G-body because you like the looks and you can't afford anything better. Or you just really like the looks. They need everything. 30,000 - 50,000 is what you're supposed to have into it when you're done; not when you're starting.
Suddenly I wonder if this is what guys were thinking when '60s cars started going up. "Why pay so much for so little?"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

View attachment 82988 View attachment 82989 View attachment 82990 View attachment 82991

That's probably because The average price for a Low mile GN at Barrett Jackson last month was $38K.

$45K is probably the top for a low mile GN, $20-25K the top for a presentable driver. $60K - $100K doesn't make any sense. There were just too many GN's built and unlike '70-71 cuda's, they didn't start rusting on the dealers lots and THOUSANDS of the 25K+ built were bought by "collectors" and put away.

At $25K, you can't get into a "classic" muscle car that drives better or is faster than a GN, so $25K is still a pretty good deal.

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016

View attachment 82988 View attachment 82989 View attachment 82990 View attachment 82991

There's always 10+ laughably overpriced GNX for sale at any given time so thats not the best way to gauge what they're actually selling for.

Which brings me to another phenomenon that must be discussed when talking prices. Craigslist and free listing sites. Theres a blue 84 ss in my area Ive seen listed for 7950 for 3+ years. Craigslist and facebook group offer you a free way to list something so people list stuff constantly at outrageous prices because why not?

I think its obviously effected selling cars. Now Ive been told Craigslist doesnt work as well in rural areas and yard signs and word of mouth still are dominant there. CL requires watching to get a feel of the price cars are selling at because browsing it blind is going to have you think everything is worth a fortune. Ive been seeing a generic good condition 2000 z28 listed repeatedly for 17k recently. Whats that worth 6-8 probably??

Now with G bodies I think theres a huge disconnect between pipe dream listings and selling prices.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I paid, 3K for my 88 Cutlass over 10 years ago, way too much for what it was. I thought the market would go up, I was wrong, not around here. There is a decent 87 442 that has changed hands a few times, around the 5K price. I wish that was the direction I went in the first place either a 84 Hurst/Olds or 87 442. At least then it can take some abuse at the drag strip and might have some future value. The worthless 7.5" rear and 4L60E kills the 1998-02 Firebird for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor