Removal of AC stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2006
Centralia, WA
I want to remove my air conditioning stuff. Is there anything besides unbolt and remove that I need to do? Electrical?

I've never had a vehicle with AC and I don't plan on starting now. :lol: Besides, gotta get rid of this stuff to make room for a larger motor.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I've been wondering the same thing. I pulled out the condensor, pump and basic lines. I want to just have heat and get rid of the whole buldging a/c stuff at the fire wall. they make a/c delete panels but does that get rid of the heat too?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
ryanwitski said:
I've been wondering the same thing. I pulled out the condensor, pump and basic lines. I want to just have heat and get rid of the whole buldging a/c stuff at the fire wall. they make a/c delete panels but does that get rid of the heat too?
Yeah, most of them do. The only way to do it is find a car w/o AC and take the heater box. Then you can use the heater core and have working heat. Its easier said than done... I'm currently in the process of doing that myself.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I've removed a few heater boxes and A/C boxes, but never reinstalled one yet. The heater deleat is just a plate that covers the hole in the fire wall. You'll have no heat.
The heater box consists of the box, specific vents and pull cables and handles under the steering column to open the air vents. The controls in the dash have only heat and not A/C.
Also something usually forgotten is the glove box. It is not as deep as the A/C glove box, to allow room for the heat vents.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
I guess to each his own...but why?! My g bodies hae ice cold a/c! I wouldn't trade it for anything. My gp has a 305 4v and my elky a 350 4v. Both blocks are the same size and the engine compartment isn't crowded at all. You can get lots of HP from a sbc 350 and still have have a/c.
Unless you're building a drag car I see no reason to not have a/c.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
87GP said:
I guess to each his own...but why?! My g bodies hae ice cold a/c! I wouldn't trade it for anything. My gp has a 305 4v and my elky a 350 4v. Both blocks are the same size and the engine compartment isn't crowded at all. You can get lots of HP from a sbc 350 and still have have a/c.
Unless you're building a drag car I see no reason to not have a/c.

I agree. You can have a quick street car and still have comfort. Sure, you might save 40 pounds, but on a street car that doesn't equate to anything you'll see on a timeslip.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
The heat has never bothered me and it just looks ugly. plus i would like room for future add ons

Redcap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2006
Centralia, WA
I don't particularly mind the heat either (the AC in my Cutlass blows lukewarm at best) and I like having LOTS of room in my engine compartment.

My car is NOT going to be a stripped-down drag car, but I know what I will and will not use. Air conditioning is definately on the latter list.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
I guess it depends where you are as far as climate. But here in the hazy, hot , and humid NY, I gotta have A/C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor